Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humbucker: 1" X 4" Proper Designation?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a single Bart p/u which measures 1 1/4" X 4 1/4". I'm assuming its a humbucker but doesn't meet the the definition of "soapbar" as I know it. Its a fine p/u but is not quite as agressive as I'd like. In the event I choose to swap it out, what would be the proper designation? This will help when cross-referencing different brands.

Thanks for the help.

Riis

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you look on the Bartolini website, you'll see a product info page which has a downloadable pdf file with all pickup designations / dimensions.
    From that, you can tell that it's a P2.

3. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, next question:

Who else makes a P2 style humbucker that's worth a damn?

Thanks

Riis

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    seymour duncan, kent armstrong, also (I believe) Villex

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Bartolini ;) They make many pickups in that size with a wide range of sounds.

You might find the sound you want by a simple rewiring, what do you consider more aggressive? Can you pop it out and read the model number off the bottom?

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Barts are ok but I was looking for something with better definition in the low mids. I'm leaning toward the Seymour Duncans or EMGs. The Villex line has been suggested however I'm unsure as to how they would sound with the OBP-3 preamp (I understand Villex is best run passively).

Thanks

Riis

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I replaced my SD active basslines's with P2's and got much more low mid focus which is what I crave. They were the dual coil model. I found the SD's to be brittle and just too bright even with the treble all the way down.

You also have the option of a j style pickup in a larger cover, I did that for a while.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16323

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You could also craft a trim ring and do a Dark Star is it's a 4 string ... I don't think that Fred's 5 string pickup is out yet.

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA