Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

humbucker and single coil?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by geddyfan, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Has anyone tried to use both in one instrument.I have aa DP123 in the neck position but the bridge Dp123 in not the sound I want.I'm thinking about aa 62 Fender ri in the bridge position,is there any drawbacks to this other than the 60 cycle hum which in a band setting is pretty much absorbed by other noise IMO.By the way the neck PUP with a 500k pot is pretty sweet.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The biggest problem with that is the potential for the two pickups to have very different output levels.

Other than that, sure if you don't mind the hum (and you never plan on recording with it), there's no problem mixing and matching.

3. The PUP output probably can be gotten close with height adjustments and as far as recording what are the potential problems?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually I'd use resistors to adjust the volume, there's a zone of "good" pickup height that you really shouldn't leave.

The recording comment was about the hum. It's masked live, if you say so, but not on tape!

5. The noise is not really masked out live just not as evident.Obviously I'm kind of a newbie at this but what do people in the studio do if they prefer on PUP over the other to cut the noise?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Change where you stand, what direction you face, is about all you can do. Try to find what's causing the interference and turn it off if possible.

7. Watch out for phase problems.......I have never managed to match a single and a humbucker on a bass. I have, though, on guitar.

Dunno why.

8. Yup. The biggest culprits are fluorescent lights, dimmer switches and computer monitors. But 50/60 cycle hum is part of the price you pay for a single coil sound. No amount of shielding will completely extinguish it.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    On guitar, you're talking about side-by-side humbuckers, right? On bass, were you using the same type (like an MM), or something packed into a P or J shape? It is conceivable that, if the pickup is a split humbucker (P or split-J design), where there are separate coils under the top half of the strings and the bottom half, that the output of the individual halves may have opposite polarities. This wouldn't affect the single-coil sound. But, yes, if you mixed a pickup that was like this with a single-coil, you couldn't wire them in phase - half the strings would be in-phase, the other half not.

*BUT* I don't know why a pickup would be wired like this. No reason not to reverse the coils *and* the magnets, so the result is the same polarity. The only ones I know that have this "problem" are the Bartolini 9W4s, which have a separate coil under each string, but I think a single magnet under all the coils. They caution you not to mix a 9W4 with anything other than another 9W4 because of this.

10. The dp123 can also be wired as a single coil if i'm not mistaken.It is a side by side PUP or I could just change them both and not worry about polarity and output differences.I'm more confused now thaan when i wrote the thread.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I just looked up the dp123 (Dimarzio, right?), it is a split humbucker, not side-by-side. There's nothing on the site about mixing it with single-coil pickups, but I'd watch out.

If you only used a single coil of the dp123, you'd only get two strings. :)

I'd still recommend switching them both out. Bass Player did an article on J-bass pickups that was very good:

http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml

Best of luck.

12. The PUP is a dimarzio and is side by side.It's like a P bass PUP in a Jazz cover.2 seperate coils with 2 wires each.I really like the 123 but I may just swap them both.The dimarzio was just an old PUP I had so it cost me nothing to try them.It,s too bad the bridge PUP was too dark for my taste.Thanks for the input.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    We're not quite on the same page with the terminology. By "split", I (and DiMarzio, who use the term as well) mean that one coil sees half the strings, the other one the other half.

You're right that is like a P pickup in a Jazz cover.

When I say "side-by-side" I mean two full length coils next to one another that each see all of the strings: like a guitar humbucker, or a MusicMan pickup.

Anyway, hope I didn't just cause more confusion. :)

14. no more confused than normal,just not sure which direction to go.I'm looking for aa sound but I'm just not sure what.Thanks again

15. Join the club!

16. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hey Guys,
    While your're chatting about pick ups, would it be a pickup problem which is causing my acoustic bass to forever increase its volume on certain notes? Or is it a characteristic of acoustic basses? It's making it unplayable on gigs as the only cure is to play at low volume or cut back the bass. Or both!!!!!

17. My Roscoe Beck V has both pickups switchable between single coil, parallel humbucking, or series humbucking. Each tone is noticeable different.

I run single coil mode most of the time, both pickups enabled, and the tone control dimed. This gets me very close to the standard Jazz tone.

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds like feedback, a definite problem with acoustics in amplified scenarios. You can buy little plastic discs which snap into the soundhole and help this out a bit.

19. I get the feeling that a volume mismatch could be pretty severe with a high output pickup like the Model J at the neck and and a lower output pickup at the bridge.

20. I,M PROBABLY GOING TO OPT TO CHANGE BOTH TO FENDER CS60'S ANYWAY.There are some things you can do to correct polarity and such but it's too much trouble.Re the semi acoustic problem.I used to have a Yamaha semi acoustic that was the same way,Could have been hot spots on the fb but probably feedback.Anybody out there need 1 neck dp123?