Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humbucker into P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris86, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Hi,

maybe you guys can help me.
    I want to put a humbucker (mm) into my p-bass.
    is it possible to put it in ?

my dad knows about working with wood,
    but is it possible?
    does it have the same potis

thanks for your help
    and greets from germany

chris

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    sure...you'll have to route the cavity for the humbucker. You'll have to come up with a custom pickguard....and use 500K pots.

3. Tanks !!
    but how do you meen "you'll have to route the cavity"

sorry. my englisch isn't very well :bawl: :smug:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you, or your father, will have to cut some wood to make space for the MM humbucker. generally, there will be only room for the P cut underneath the pickguard

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've done that before, except I did it to a Mark Hoppus P-Bass, so its a J body, but the concept is still the same. Here's what mine looked like after it was done (the one on the right, obviously)
    [​IMG]

Wasn't too hard. I made a routing template out of plywood on the spot, but if I had to do it again I would just buy the proper template.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    cool..I was hoping davidmwilson would show up!
    I always read your posts man...always informative :)

david..do you know of any stacked buckers in a split P config that would be an option?

7. now i got it. tanks !

just one more question:
    what humbucker (passiv) can you recommend me ?

(i like slapping/Funk a lot, but cant afford a real mm

8. or is it better to put a pick up like the dimarzio Split P DP 127

does he give you a sound similar to a normal humbucker ?

thanks for your help

chris

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    thanks! I don't know nearly as much as geshel, xyllion, nonsqtr do but I learned a lot from this place and whatever I can give back is good
    in an MM / soapbar shape? Hmmm. Well, EMG's have a number of coil configs available in the same shape. Bartolini do quad coil soapbars that let you do split P, reverse P or standard series/parallel wiring.
    Is that what you meant?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Split P will give you a different variation on the P sound, but nothing drastically different. It'll let you wire it series (standard) or parallel, but I've never thought a neck P on it's own wired in parallel sounded that great. YMMV (your mileage may vary i.e. you might like it!).

Your P pickup is already a humbucker, what in particular are you looking to do and what sound are you looking for?

11. i only have a squire bass, so almost evry new pick up will be a plus,
    but i m looking for a sound with more heights. i love the mm sound, but i know that i wount get this sound out of my bass.

all in all i want a bass specially for funk/slapping and how you might got out of the thread i don't know much about p-u's

12. is the

DiMarzio
    DP127

a
    good
    one ?

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's a good pickup, whether it's the sound you're looking for is another question.

If you go to the dimarzio web site, you'll find pages for each of their P pickups including a description of the sound characteristics (amount of bass,mid,treble).

14. Not only the pickup itself is important, it's location is very important as well.
    In a Musicman the pickup is placed more towards the bridge then the pickup in a precision, wich is VERY important tonewise.
    In general, a pickup placed more towards the bridge gives a better slap tone.

15. i know, but i can't put a new pu at the bridge position

don't you think that i should put in a new pu?
    the squire is not very good, or is he ?

is there another way to get a better slap tone out of my p-bass ?

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you will get an improvement over the stock squire pickup.

The closest you'll get to the MM sound without putting in a bridge pickup would be to make sure you put in a humbucker which is switchable between series and parallel operation. Standard humbuckers are wired in series, MM humbuckers are wired in parallel to give them the extra low end and high end.
    But, as already said, pickup location is crucial so no matter what pickup you use in a neck position you're not going to get an MM sound.