Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HUMBUCKER QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Hello

Im thinking about making my own Humbuker from 2 Jazz Single coils for a Bridge Position. I am just wondering if any of you could tell me if i need to neck position, and a bridge, 2 necks, 2 bridges, or what?

I would like to know as soon as possible.. thanks!

---Rocinante_x1

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  3. It's my understanding that a Jazz bass is humbucking as long as both pups are set at the same volume (or close). That means the bridge pup and neck pup must have the opposite magnetic polarity. So I would suggest one bridge and one neck.

As far as the Schaller pickups Dharmabass mentioned, there is a lengthy discussion about how to wire these in this TB forum http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178842

I've got two of these in my current project http://www.mybassproject.com and they sound great (sound samples are on my site and the above mentioned forum). They're not your standard humbucker though and will take a little creativity to wire.

Rocinante_x1, how do you plan to make this humbucker? Are you just going to put the two coils close together or will you physically join them?

4. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    i want to cut the screw mounts off the bottom of one, and try to join the plastics. then solder the matching wires together and thus making a humbucker.

5. Ok, then I *think* you would want one neck and one bridge pickup because they need to be of the opposite magnetic polarity in order buck that hum. Read http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/pickups.php for some good background info on how HB pups work. And see some of the free wiring diagrams on http://www.guitarelectronics.com to see how to wire them.

Why not just buy a double J? The schaller double J mentioned above sounds great. It's got a few more wires, but if you want to make it work like a dual coil humbucker that's not too hard.

6. I know that MECs are sort of "hated" around here for their price and "lack of punch and or definition" (whatever you guys think...) But I know that they make a double jazz pickup as well.

Yes, I know you're wanting to make your own, I just thought that Id say that since someone above me (to lazy to see who exactly) suggested the old DiMarzios.

~Ryan

7. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    well, that would work too, I want to buy 2 S.Duncan SJB-3s and make a humbucker with those. Also, if i did that, then i would just need to but a bit of a hole in my already existing slot.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Rocinante_x1

8. I'm not sure I follow you on modifying the existing slot. Seems like you'd have to do that no matter what.

I like the Schaller pup a lot, but I can see wanting to do it yourself.

My $0.02 is still that you'd want one neck and one bridge pup, otherwise it won't work like a humbucker. Then just follow a standard jazz wiring diagram. http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSS2101 Unless you plan on adding mods like series/parallel or phase switching.

I should tell you that I don't know for sure that Jazz basses are humbucking. I've never owned one. I've been assured by other Talk Basser's that they are though.

That means the neck and bridge pups have to have different magnetic polarity and winding directions. This makes sense though, because why else would they identify pups as being neck or bridge?

9. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've got a couple of them too. There may be 4 coils, but it's still effectively 2 DM J's in the one case (they have 2 coils/ 4 wires each). All you need to do is join the two coils on each side in series, and voila, two single pickups. Two extra solder joints are all that's needed.

11. I disagree w/Dharmabass on how to connect these, but that's a whole other discussion. Literally. There's a TB forum on this subject already.

He is correct that the physical wiring part is pretty simple. A lot easier than trying to make your own pup.

12. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    hehe.
    I know its a lot of work, but I think that it will make me proud and it would be more satisfactory if I did it myself. Plus, i Kinda like the look of 2 joined Singlecoils. I dunno though.. Ill thoroughly analyze all of this Data that you nice people are giving me.

Thanks

---Rocinante_x1

13. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I would cut an equal sized hole right above the existing slot to make room for the j-humbucker. Thats what i shall do if I consider doing this.

---Rocinante_x1