1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humbucker sound in single coil shape?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nonfatmatt, Mar 9, 2008.

1. So I've settled on a bass finally and it's going to be a Yamaha BB-615 (my third, I keep coming back) but the electronics aren't quite up to par for what I want. I've got the preamp covered, and the stock P pickup is fine but the jazz is, well too jazzy. I've got a Duncan hot stack on the way for it which is an inline humbucker. However, all I've read has indicated that the hot stacks are focused more upon reproducing the jazz sound with less hum rather than giving a more humbuckerish sound. The same goes with all the other inline humbucking jazz style pickups, be it Barts, Nords or Delanos. I'm wondering if there's a pickup I can use to get more of a soapbar sound in a jazz package, because I bought the bass to cover a band where I have to play songs that use both sounds in the same set and I don't want to switch basses (wireless, etc).

2. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    You could try the Villex pups www.villex.com I don't know how well they'll work on an active bass, but a number of tb'ers have recommended them. I want to do a project bass with a set of either humbucking Jazz or humbucking PJ, but I need to find a body I like (and some extra $) first.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That's a tough one...the shape of the pickup limits things...

If there is a pickup builder that you trust, I'd contact them. Well, it might be hard to get a hold of Bartolini, but in general, I think builders will be helpful.

I haven't played through these exact pickups, but these look promising:
    [​IMG]

But, they're single coils. They're made by Harry Haeussel (Haussel) in Germany...he builds for Ritter and other high end basses. I've liked other models of his, so it's a shot. I bet that model could be made humbucking.

http://www.haeussel.com/

Good luck,
    Marshall

4. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I owned a BB615 a couple of years ago and I considered putting a Basslines MM humbucker in the bridge position. Routing for a different shaped pickup will be hard to avoid to get the tone you want.

5. Q-Tuners.

6. Yeah I like the q-tuners but the non-standard size makes it a bit rough. I'm just going to have them mount an EMG dc in the bottom and be done with it.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Using a active pickup (EMG DC) and a passive pickup (the Yamama P) together can be tricky to wire up. You will need different pots for the EMG. If the EMG has the quick connectors then that should considered as well.