1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

humbucker vs two single coil output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brendanbassix, Jan 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Quick question Can somebody explain why my fender jazz bass is quieter then my OLP(passive stingray) bass?
    They are both wired parallel so I would assume they would have a similar output although one is a humbucker. my jazz bass is still a lot quieter then the OLP why?

2. Anybody?....is this maybe an alnico vs ceramics thing? For the brief time I owned a PJ configuration I noticed that when I solo'ed the bridge pup there was a volume drop is the reason behind that the answer to this? Should I care if I like the sounds of both anyway? Does anybody else care?....am I talking to myself

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Well, early in the morning on New Year's Day is probably not the best time to expect many responses from bunch of musicians. :)

I don't think there's any mystery here: Basses vary greatly in their output levels, depending on exactly how the pickups are made and other aspects of their electronics. As far as I know, there is no reason to expect single-coils to be hotter than humbuckers (or vice-versa), or for pickups with alnico magnets to be hotter than those with ceramic magnets (or vice versa), or even for active basses to be hotter than passive ones (or vice-versa).

brendanbassix and wcriley like this.
  4. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Closer to the bridge there is less string movement.

5. Why would you make this assumption? That's just silly.

Pickup output levels vary greatly. You can't expect two pickups to be similar, just because you happen to wire them the same. The humbucker may have stronger magnets and/or more wire.

brendanbassix likes this.