1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humbucker wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Iwalkedin, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

Apr 4, 2014
  2. Every pickup manufacturer has their own color code. You cannot make any generalizations whatsoever. What brand and model of pickup are you dealing with?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The bare wire is ground, but other than that, can't say without brand & model.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    You could find this out for yourself if you had a multimeter.

MattZilla likes this.
  5. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

Apr 4, 2014
    I think the humbucker is from a Heartfield bass. I could probably just guess and check a few times.

6. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

Apr 4, 2014
    I might just go out and buy one to save some hassle. What exactly am I looking for?

7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I don't know if you're in the US, but something like this:

Commercial Electric Digital Multimeter-MAS830B - The Home Depot

[​IMG]

About $20 and up, I've seen ones as cheap as $8, and they are good enough for most musical electronics purposes. First you'll have to find out which colors go to which coil. Plug the test leads into the multimeter (it will come with them), and set it to the 20kΩ setting. With the multimeter in resistance (Ω) mode, touching the leads together should show a reading of zero or at least very close to zero. With nothing touching the leads, the resistance is infinity, most meters show this by displaying dashes.. " - - - " or it may say "out of range" This will confirm the ohm setting is working normally. Now, hold the end of one of the colored pickup wires to one test lead, (it must make metal-to-metal contact), and then use the other probe to check the remaining 3 wires. Two of the wires should do nothing (display will read - - - -) but one of the wires should show some resistance, probably between about 5kΩ and 10kΩ, depending on the pickup. That should identify the wires of one pickup coil. By process of elimination, that means the other two colored wires go to the other coil. If you put the meter across those wires you should get a reading almost identical to the first coil.

I haven't watched this video, but I think you might find it helpful.

MattZilla likes this.
  8. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

Apr 4, 2014
    I've always wondered how those worked. Thanks I see what I can do