1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HUMBUCKERS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassMan257, Apr 8, 2006.

1. so im a total noob in the world of humbuckers (ive only played on them like 3 times)

anyway, i need to know where i can get a nice pair, that wont cost me an arm and a leg...

also, i need them to where you can turn of half of the pickup... like a selector thing, where you can have dual coil or single coil... (cause ive heard you can do this)

thanks for the suggestions... im just not sure if all humbuckers will do what i want them to... so i figured id ask...

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what shape of humbucker? J? Soapbar? If soapbar, what dimensions? 4 or 5 string? What sound are you looking for?

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    delano has some cool pickups. check out their quad coil pickups. They would allow for double j, front j, rear j, p, and reverse p all in one pickup.

4. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    If you want to do the dual-coil/single-coil thing you have to get a soapbar that will let you do that. Not all humbucking soapbars are wired for DC/SC operation so you'll have to find ones that will permit this. The one you linked to at Stew-Mac is just a simple humbucker. Down at the bottom it says "shielded 2-conductor output wire". That means you're stuck with humbucking only. The Delanos sound like they would be amazing but they could be expensive. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution you might be stuck with a straight humbucker.

Before you get too far, you'll need to know the exact dimensions. There are many sizes out there and a custom size will only add to the cost. There are many manufacturers offering DC soapbars so look around.

Here are some links:
    http://bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm (like the BB4, BC4, M34)
    http://www.delano.de/english/4-string/sbc4hes-4.html

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    check out delano Bassman it'll get you evrything your looking for plus some.

6. oh oh oh...

dimensions arent important... im building the bass... so it doesnt really matter..

its a 4 string...

probably fretted (i might take the frets out, getto style)

so, um... yeah... i heard the selects are nice, but evidently they dont do the scdc thing...

are all those pickups really expensive?

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The Selects are rudimentary humbuckers, about what you would have found in 1965. I just put a set in my POS bass, and it really nails that 1970 "Crazy Horse" sound...but they won't do much else. If you crank of the treble, they get honky, and the bridge pickup is not really useful. Otherwise, they are great, but only if you want that fat sound. They are not high output, and mine don't seem to sound aggressive, no matter where I set things. Of course, I have several other basses when I want different sounds, but be aware that the Selects are not versatile.

8. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was seriously looking at picking up a pair of Bart M34Cs for my bass, but this thread and sparked an interested in Delano HB quad coil (something or other it's the EMG 35 size/shape). I would like to do a Stingray type wiring to where I could have a switch to dial in different tones. Anyone know how I could go about achieving this?

9. :scowl: dang... for not meaning it, you hijacked the hell out of my thread... :p

(dude, i allways wanted to use the "scowl" smiley... and now i know what its for :p )

it might be better if you make your own (thread that is)... i mean, im not asking you to retract your statement or anything... but you would probably get more of a reponce if you copied and pasted... i mean, im just being honest...;)

hmm... ok about the selects..

i might "Select" to use them in another project im working on (oh, no i didn't!)

so now ive got to find a decent blank...

which is making me blankaty blanking mad..

i just want wood that i can cut myself... alot cheaper than buying a "guitar body blank"

looks like i just jacked my own thread...

my appoligies... lol...