Humbucking J-pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Sep 28, 2000.

1. So I've decided to put a J-pickup in the bridge spot on my old Carl Thompson. Carl put a Kent Armstrong passive humbucker in the neck spot and completely shielded the control cavity.. the bass is dead quiet. I'm thinking whatever J pickup I end up with will need to be a humbucker to, or else I'll get noise. Any suggestions?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I don't have a J-type bass, but I do know that lotsa folks make humbucking pickups for them, like Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Bartolini, and Carvin. Bass Player Mag rated a bunch of humbucking pickups in their J-bass pickup comparison. Just check, click on gear, and you'll see the J-bass pickup shootout. If you've already seen the article, sorry, just ignore this post :D .
  3. Dave, whatever kind of pickup you get, try to get a wooden cover to match your other pickup. That would look Sweeeeet! I hope your gamble pays off, man. Good Luck!
  4. I used this set, I bet you can get a single. I like it. Split coil humbucking in J package. 1979 design. Good for me, but see bio for my likes to see what I'm after. It may not be your cup of tea.

5. Thanks guys! CROZ, I think for the J pickup, I'm gonna skip the wood cover.. I'm hoping for a variation on the Fender Jazz look where the neck pickup has the metal cover and the bridge pickup is exposed.. I think that looks cool. I hope this gamble pays off too.. the guy I've been wanting to have work on the bass has called in sick all week!
  6. Dropped the bass off today, going with the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz humbucker.
  7. How bout a cream plastic cover?
  8. Nah, think I'm gonna stick with the plain pickup.. it's got exposed pole-pieces too and I like that look.
  9. funkymachine

Jun 7, 2006
    The American Deluxe and Big Block Precision Basses feature a humbucking J pickup in the bridge position and active electronics. The Roscoe Beck 4 and 5-string models sport dual humbucking J pickups, 3-way switching, passive circuitry and 2 mini-toggle switches for humbucking/series/parallel sounds.