1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HumbucKing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rorschach, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Rorschach

Rorschach

Feb 27, 2004
    Hi Everybody!
    I got a few Problems and i hope somebody can help me.

Im planning to build a humbucking bass and i want the g&l 2000 pu`s. Where can i get them? Can they be ordered somewhere?
    Or is there a good alternative?
    Also im wondering if somebody knows if they work passiv properly(im simply not a friend of active electronics).

I planned to make this thing on the bassis of a Jazz Bass:
    2 volume knobs (one for every pick up) and one tone knob. In adition a 3way switch for every pick up (a coil selector: Bridge/Humbucking/Neck)

What do You think of this idea, is it possible without a great amount of money?

Please Rock on
    :bassist:

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure if you can get the G&Ls, but if not, but Lindy Fralin and Carey Nordstrand make excellent humcanceling singlecoils. I've yet to year the Fralins (hopfully will hear them soon), but I was extremely impressed with the set of Nordstrand NJ4SEs that came in a Nordstrand NJ Deluxe 4-sting I had in recently. SMASH did an excellent review of several sets of pickups in a thred here in the forum, and Beefbass just did a pickup review as well...scroll down a half-dozen threads or so and you'll find it. There may be others who also make a similar pickup, but if you're looking for a vintagey, fenderesque single coil sound without the hum, buzz, and 60 cycle noise, these two guys are probably your best bet for killer tone. Hope that helps. :)