1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humcancelling J pups from different manufacturers- any problems?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Jul 9, 2014.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I've got two Jazz pickups lying around that I'd like to try out because I have them here and don't have to spend any money. The nitro'd body and neck are just about cured (3 weeks) and I'm almost ready to build. But they're not from the same manufacturer. The neck pup is a Seymour Duncan STK-1 (Classic Stack) with stacked coils, and the bridge pup is from an older American P/J Peavey, either a Foundation S or a Dyna. That one has side-by-side coils.

Will this work?

I've read here many times that the side/side coil humbuckers have more output than the stacked-coil humbuckers, so my hope is that the combo will give it that extra bit of whatever in the bridge and take a bit out of the neck.

Any answers/advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Apart from the possibly mismatched output, no reason why they shouldn't work together.

RBrownBass likes this.
  3. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    I plan on v/v/t, 500K linear volumes, 250K audio tone so I don't expect any issues there that I can't control. Thanks!

4. Output is not the only factor. You must also consider impedance, when mixing pickups.

5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Can you elaborate? I assumed the OP referred to two passive pickups, and I further assumed passive pickups are mostly in the same ballpark.

6. Stacked and split pickups do not necessarily have similar impedance. Especially given that series and parallel wiring is possible.

If one pickup has a significantly lower impedance than the other, that pickup will load the other pickup when both volumes are turned up. Sometimes it can be noticeable that turning down the volume for the lower impedance pickup will cause the high impedance pickup to get louder.

RBrownBass likes this.
  7. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks for this info. I'll have the pups measured in advance just to see if there's a problem.

8. It isn't easy to measure pickup impedance. It varies based on the reference frequency.