Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humid climates and basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jul 20, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Being a new bass player I am clueless as to weather affect on instrumentsand what to do. I am moving to Hawaii from Oregon and will be taking the 2 basses I bought (MIA Fender Jazz and MIA Washburn xb-900) with me. I am kind of concerned... because obviously the weather in Hawaii is quite humid. Any suggestions on care in humid climates?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Not real experienced myself, but I'm convinced it depends on the bass, and you are going to have to see how yours respond after you get there. I live in AZ, (in the mountains) but our monsoons started recently and we are raining daily, changing the humidity drastically. I've had to adjust the relief on 2 out of 7 basses. Interestingly, I had to adjust a P and not a J. My Ric needed a tweak, but the Stingrays and Warwick held like an oak tree.
    Doc

3. I'm in Hawaii and had to transport my bass back and forth from Colorado when I was in college. You will most likely have to make trust rod adjustments once you get here. If your basses have graphite necks, the effect might not be as noticable, so I hear. I have '93 Ibanez bass (maple neck/ rosewood fingerboard) that has survived the travel 3 or 4 times. So, IME, I never had any serious problems. Good Luck!