Humidifier placement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Apr 2, 2020.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    It’s been a rather chilly spring here, and the heat running has started to do a number on my instruments. I noticed several have mild fret sprout starting over the last few weeks, so I’m breaking out the humidifier....but where should I put it? The room I keep them isn’t massive, maybe 14’x12’. I currently have it set on the floor, about 2-2.5 feet away from the rack and wall, where my Basses & guitars are, with the vent pointed away from them. Is that too close?

2. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    Do you have a humidity reader? If it's between 45-65 I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the basses were on the move, the first thing you'll notice is the neck relief has changed a little. Too much humidity and the necks back-bow, too dry, they forward-bow.

3. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I don’t have a humidity reader. I haven’t noticed any neck relief changes, but the fretboard edges have shrunk, as there’s now some new fret sprout. I guess I’ll just leave it where is at a low setting and hope they swell back up a little.

4. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    It does sound like the edges of the board might have shrunk a little bit. The tension balance between the neck/string tension and the truss rod is quite fine, if things are moving the first thing that usually lets you know is the neck. Buzzes that were not there before. It lets you know.

Just to add, over the course of 33 years working as a bassist, fret sprout seems to be a very common problem now. In that time, I've owned just one bass that had that problem, a six string by a UK builder. I would consider that the apparent rise in that problem is more to do with the woods being used to manufacture now. Not being seasoned quite enough. Though I've no idea how old your basses are.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    None of them are particularly old, I think the oldest is an ‘06?. I also just changed strings recently on many of my instruments (lots of time on my hands these days), so it’s possible they’ve moved due to humidity and I’ve chalked it up to different string tension.

6. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    I'd get a little humidity reader, very handy. Forewarned is forearmed.

ajkula66 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  7. This.

After a very nasty PA winter a couple of years ago pretty much all of my guitars and basses ended up with a significant fret sprout. Warm mist humidifier to the rescue, with a humidity reader positioned as close to the guitar cases as possible. I'm pleased with the results, but as always YMMV.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  8. I've had the same problem. My P-Pass sprouted a couple of months ago so, I got a warm mist humidifier for a medium sized room. I've been keeping the room at 50% and my P-Bass at 55% in the case using case humidifiers. Now, finally it's cured! It's strange, my Jazz Bass and my American Performer Strat are in the same room and they didn't sprout. I would try and move it a little further away if possible. Mine are six feet away from the humidifier with the vent pointing away. It helps to put the humidifier off the floor on an end table or something.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    PennyroyalWe likes this.