Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

humidifier to make basses happy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Schwinn, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Does anyone use a humidifier during the winter to keep their instruments happy from the moisture-sapping effects of home heating?

You ever see a bass with the frets protruding off the neck like sharp knives because the wood is too dry? I noticed this starting to happen last year and I want to avoid that by keeping the room 'humidified'. Any suggestions on what to get? I'm clueless at this point. :confused:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to use a little "guitar humidifier" that was essentially a little plastic "hockey-puck" sized case with a few small holes in the top, an it was filled with a clay-like substance. You'd soak it in water for a few minutes once a month, then keep it in your case. It was supposed to leach out moisture slowly and keep your guitar from drying out. Don't know that it helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

Of course, its useless if you don't keep your bass in its case, which mine almost never are. I do have a whole-house humidifier, though, and for gigs the bass must suffer for a few hours. ;)

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks Eric...anyone else use anything?