1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Humidity and... gloves?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MonkeyMan2, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MonkeyMan2

MonkeyMan2

Mar 12, 2018
    I was reading the "should you wear your own band shirt on stage" thread when I thought of this.

We played an outdoor show a few weeks back. It was 95, humid and the sun was in our faces while we played. After the first song my bass neck was tacky and sliding on my strings was not as smooth as usual. I had a lot of fun but I didn't play very well.

We rehearsed a few days later in a hot and humid rehearsal space. The air conditioning could only do so much. Again, my neck was tacky and i felt like I was fumbling around the bass.

I had a practice glove in my bag, similar to what Scott from Scott'S Bass lessons wears. I got it when I was practicing so much my finger tips hurt. I have some decent callouses now so I haven't used it in awhile.

I threw the glove it on and it was so much better. I think I had one of my best rehearsals ever. I felt like I could move around on the bass easier and with more confidence.

So - would you ever play a gig with a glove? Just wondering your thoughts.

We have a few more outdoor shows this summer.... I am considering it.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    As long as the glove has sequence on it, then it's okay. :)

jchrisk1 likes this.
  3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I use some Dr Ducks on my strings and neck when playing outdoors in hot and humid. Removes the tackiness. basically a few drops on a clean cloth and wipe down the strings and neck. Doesn't gunk up the strings.

Giffro likes this.
  4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Scott Devine uses one, albeit for different reasons. But if he can do it, so can you.

5. MonkeyMan2

MonkeyMan2

Mar 12, 2018
    I tired the Dr Ducks on my string and neck and it was awesome. Thank you for the advice.

oldrocker likes this.