1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humidity and right hand calluses

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Roy Vogt, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Must be Summer. My calluses are in pretty good shape and then I have to play a 3 hour outdoor garden party in humid Tennessee weather. My calluses get soft, drag on my strings and the next thing I know I've got blisters like a beginner. This seems to only happen in hot humid environments. Anyone else have this problem and found a solution? Ouch!
    FWIW I am using Pirastro Obligatos.

2. carvnbass

carvnbass

May 2, 2012
    Kansas
    I tried mole skin on my fingers like you might find at cvs. Has adhesive that is very strong. Had played an outdoor gig in mobile Alabama. Worked well enough to get by the second day.

Lots of baby powder on my hand after that to help reduce moisture.

Strings will die fast though!

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Can't really hang with the baby powder as these are typically Tux gigs. The mole skin is worth a look. If I get another of these on the books I may try it.
    Predictably, today my calluses are back like nothing happened. They just have blisters under them. Oy vey!
    No problem with electric, this just happens on Double Bass gigs.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    No idea what to do, but guessing you have an acidic skin Ph, which would leave your fingertips moist because of the humidity. What products can be used to dry the skin out that won't cause it to stick to the string? Maybe rubbing alcohol?

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Ironic. I'm eating a lot of veggies and avoiding a lot of food that creates acidity in the body. Wonder if that's changed my skin's PH balance?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Do you generally have moist skin that kills strings quickly, or dry skin that cracks and bleeds in the winter? Or somewhere in between? I'm on the far dry end of the spectrum and know how to deal with that (as much as you can deal with it), but don't know how to deal with the other end of the spectrum; what I have noticed over the years is that there seems to be a basic Ph disposition that each person exhibits that they have to deal with the consequences of. For me, my calluses harden so fast and so thick that if I don't file them they can catch on the string and tear if I'm not careful. It's been years since there's been anything like moist blisters there, but I remember it being very uncomfortable when it happened.

7. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Probably in between. Next time I'll take a towel. No idea why it didn't occur to me before.
    Now the drill is to practice without tearing the blisters. My calluses generally tend to be smoother and less thick. If I'm not in a humid environment, no problem. Some also suggested alum. I think I will just try drying off my hands between tunes next time.

8. Liquid Skin is perfect -spray on several layers, dries in minutes. Chefs use it to seal a cut hand & keep working.

Or a dab of Aquadhere. Takes ages to dry though.

Alcohol will kinda work, but needs to be reapplied. Down side - it strips oils and cracks form in the skin.