Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humidity Protection

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Devils Creek, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Recently had a chance to play a hybrid bass, and am really interested in pursuing one of these babies. Noticed a startling difference to the vintage plywoods and modern Asian and Czech laminates. What I was wondering was what other members are doing, particularly in cold dry climates, as far as maintaining humidity in their instruments. (especially carved or hybrid basses)As a guitarist as well, I am very particular about this situation in my quality solid wood guitars.

2. My bass teacher has been using the "dampit" things for years and it has served him well through many New England winters. I've also been using one on my new carved bass but it is not even a year old so it's too early to tell if it works. Also make sure to keep the room your bass is in at a decent humidity level using a humidifier or whatnot.

P.S. If you like a hybrid you'll love a carved. But that's for another thread....

3. Thanks Wil

That certainly WAS helpful, and gave me an hour of reading to do on Christmas Eve (better than wrapping presents)....

Though you had me looking in my Martin HD28 for water stains...(none thank goodness)