Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humidity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dabbadon8, Oct 28, 2003.

1. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    I have abass on order from canada and I live in florida... When the bass ships will there be a problem with the difference in heat/humidity i.e.
    warping, glue becoming unstable, etc.?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The wood will probably take on moisture since your humidity is probably higher. The neck may take on more relief that you would like, but if it's a quality instrument then a setup should fix it.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I once moved from Ohio to a Caribbean island, bringing along the pre-Gibson Tobias with multi-laminate neck I owned at the time. The laminates were all fine, but the relief of the neck changes DRASTICALLY over the course of a few days. Luckily, the bass was built well and the truss rod could handle the required amount of adjustment.

I taught a student while living there, and he ordered a new neck-thru Carvin five string bass. Its neck freaked out as well, and we never could get it adjusted sufficiently. At first we thought it was an issue with the bass itself, so it was returned for another. Alas, the replacement had the same problem. It was playable, but could never get decent action.