1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humidity

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bigmags14, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bigmags14

bigmags14

Jul 22, 2014
    Hey guys,

I know these humidity questions have been asked before, but I havent been able to find a solution. I am at school and keep my bass in a locker in its bag. The problem is that the humidity isn't very stable at all and in the winter can dip near 20%. Last september, it got as high as 80% in there. I bought a tiny gun safe dehumidifier and some damp rid which didn't really help. And I don't want to use dampits when the humidity is low, I feel they are too risky. It is an old fully carved flat back bass and I haven't had any issues so far, but I really would like a way to control the humidity in this locker. I've heard people have left a damp towel in there to add humidity, and I've seen usb rechargeable water bottle humidifiers but I'm not sure if it would work or even add too much humidity. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Evan

2. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I use Oasis case humidifiers for my acoustic guitar and have done so for years; I see they make them for double basses. There is a gel that absorbs the water so even if the enclosure leaks it isn't supposed to cause damage.

I wouldn't rush out and buy one but it might be worth investigating.

3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Is the locker air tight? Are lots of instruments stored in the same room with individual lockers for the instruments?

I've always advised people in school situations to get the school to buy a humidifier...or if the school wont (and they usually dont), get 5, 10, etc, people together and go in on one as a group to defray the costs. If all involved take a set day to check and fill the tanks, you can humidify the whole room and minimize the expense and time involved by doing it as a community.

KUNGfuSHERIFF and Mister Boh like this.
  4. bigmags14

bigmags14

Jul 22, 2014
    Hi Eric,

The problem is that the lockers are kind of right when you walk in the building, not in a certain room. So the entire building would have to be regulated. So I would really need something just to humidify the locker I guess?