Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humidity's making back-of-neck sticky !

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CJK84, May 21, 2004.

1. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    We're having some humid weather in Ohio right now and it's making it more difficult for me to play my Cirrus 4.

The back of the neck feels sticky to my thumb, making smooth horizontal movement a problem.

I believe that I'm applying minimal pressure with my thumb - I don't think it's an overexertion issue.

Any suggestions to reduce the stickiness?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sand the back of the neck.

Off to the Setup forum.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I had the same problem last summer when playing outdoor gigs. The worst was Sloppy Joes in Key West. They open the place up so it's kinda outside and inside at the same time. It was very hot and humid in that place. I used furniture spray wax on the back of the neck and it help for about two sets.
    I bought some down there and just kept it on my amp for the week. Every other set I would re-apply. I would also go upstairs and wash my hands after every set to make sure they were clean and didn't feel sticky. I don't know if furniture spray wax is good for bass necks or not. I'm sure someone on TB will say it's bad. Who knows?
    This seems to work for me. Most important, wash your hands after set up and in between sets.

4. JEberle

JEberle

May 17, 2003
    Cincinnati
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If things get sticky this summer I may try the sanding thing. The sticky neck thing is very annoying. Does anyone know what grit# to use?

6. JEberle

JEberle

May 17, 2003
    Cincinnati
    600 would be the roughest that I would use, and only enough to make the neck smooth.

7. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    0000 steel wool works for me.

8. That's a good idea

9. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I found out that baby wipes work!

Probably only a temporary solution, but might get a guy through a practice or gig.

Guess I'll have to leave the plastic container (with a pic of an infant wearing a diaper) at home.