1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

humming/buzzing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Jun 19, 2007.

1. i am getting a humming and buzzing from my bass, have tried two different leads and two different amps.

any ideas what it could be?

2. TimmyBoomBoom

TimmyBoomBoom

Apr 10, 2007
    I hate myself for saying this, but perhaps it hums because it doesn't know the words. i'm so sorry, I wish I could stop.......

3. -sigh-

-sues you for bad jokes-

4. Does it go away when you touch the strings or when you move around the room?

5. no, i tried muting the strings and putting my guitar in the other room (long cable)

6. richardjones89

richardjones89

Jun 6, 2007
    mine does that, but goes away when i mute the strings. no idea what it is... :meh:

7. Hhmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe it DOESN'T know the words! :D

I can only think of things like bad input jack, dead battery, or maybe a beat up pedal.

8. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    What kind on bass? Passive or Active?

Active - first replace the battery and retest

Depending on your skills, you can check the electrical connections with an ohm meter (remove the battery on active bass first)

then check preamp

passive - loose connection, soldering, shorted pot, bad gorund, shorted output jack, shorting pickup, switch

Check out for some troubleshooting steps to isolate the hum

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/trouble/genericnoise.php

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021