Humming Eden WT500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toko42, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Hi.

I normally use my Eden WT500 in bridged mode as my
    Hevos Donar runs at 8 ohm.

As long as I have it I have used it only in our
    rehearsal room where we have fluorescent tubes (of
    which I know that they are prone to induce humming).

Yesterday I was at a friend's home where only a
    "normal" light bulb was installed, no TV, no computer
    running and the amp kept humming even when the master
    level was turned all the way down and no bass plugged

Any hints on what to check?

With kind regards

2. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I'm no electrician and I don't play one on TV.

Maybe you have a faulty ground (earth?) in the electrical cable (from the amp to the wall socket). Have you tried switching power cables? Another thought might be that the pre-amp tube is faulty.
  3. The preamp tube should be causing hum even if the master volume is turned down all the way?

Sounds funny to me.

Power cable is flawless.

I will try with a Furman AR2306...
  4. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    My WT-400 always has a slight hum when the volume is off. That's how I know it's working :D
  5. IMHO it should be dead quiet when master volume is turned down all the way and even if no bass is plugged in and master halfway up...

My all tube Trace Elliot Quatra Valve HAS been quiet.
    Maybe I should have kept it...
  6. Hi there,

so I finally managed to send in my Eden WT-500.

It hums even if master volume is turned down all the way.

People from the repair service told me that this is quite ok and normal because the power amp part is turned up all the time, the master volume is located before the power amp electronically and so this noise is quite normal.

Imho a transistor amp should be totally quiet if I turn down master volume and even if I turn it up there shouldn't be much noise if no instrument is plugged in...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for the bandwidth.

With kind regards

7. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    My WT-400 has always had a slight hum to it whenever its turned on no matter what the master volume is. Like cjgallen said, that's how I know she's working.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Both Eden heads I've owned produce a slight hiss even with the volume off. Not really a hum, but a hiss.
  9. I narrowed the hum/hiss/buzz down to a frequency between 1.5kHz and 2.5kHz.

I didn't have a chance to test the amp with another cabinet, yet but am suspecting the noise won't appear on a cabinet with only 15" or 10".

My cabinet (Hevos Donar +) not only has a tweeter but also a 6" mid driver.

I can lower the noisefloor by turning down that frequency with the inbuilt eq but maybe someone has some clue what else I can do.

Thanks for the bandwidth.