1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humming on an American Cirrus Neck P'UP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by puremusic, May 30, 2012.

1. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Hi I have a USA Bubinga/Walnut 5 string cirrus and the bridge p/up is dead silent as expected but when I turn the pan knob toward the center or if I solo the neck p'up I get hum. I had the bass for 2 weeks and when I opened up the battery cavity I noticed that the battery wires had electrical tape on them so I am going to solder them and recover them and replace the tape. If the humming persist what else should I do thanks?:help:

2. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I redid the wire and change the batteries and still no change.

3. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Just guessing here but I'd look at checking all of your connections. Start with your pickup connections, look for a pinched wire or something grounding out. Sounds like somebody was inside that bass and didn't leave it in the same condition he found it in.

Hopefully it will be something simple that is visible to the eye. If not you will have to start troubleshooting with a systematic approach to properly isolate the problem. that might go something like this; swap out your pickup leads so that when you blend each is on opposite sides of the blend knob. If the hum moves with the pickup then you have a pickup problem. If not it's somewhere else (Blend Pot, preamp). It's all a process of elimination. Work through it in sequence until you chase it down and isolate it. Good Luck.

4. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    thanks andy

5. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    It was was the neck pickup the hum followed as I swapped the p'ups leads. Thanks again.

6. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm pretty sure Peavey will sell you a replacement VFL pickup for fairly cheap. :bassist: