Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humming pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 23, 2005.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    The humbucker on my Corvette FNA has started being annoying and hums very faintly when I am not touching the strings....and if I touch the poles closest to the bridge if hums really loudly...but not the neck-side poles. It is active BTW.

Is this a grounding problem? How do I fix something like this? I'm no technical expert so any advice is appreciated!

2. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    "My car has started to empty the gas tank by itself while I drive." Meaning, that is what happens with passive pickups. Can't be avoided. Just touch the strings! ;) Remember, the pickup in Your bass is passive, the preamp is active.

I believe You have a coil selector or a balance pot onboard. It selects which coil is in use. if You select the coil on the neck side, does the hum appear? Also, if You touch the pickup poles and strings at the same time, does it hum?

-Aki.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I don't have a balance knob or a coil selector! The only knobs on the bass are volume,treble, mid and bass EQ. And in the preamp are just the mid scoop and bass boost pots for when the push/pull volume knob is activated.

Guess I'll have to live with the hum then! Thanks for your help anyway :)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not familiar with that bass or pickup. Not all dual coil pickups are humbucking but the vasat majority of them are and
    a humbucking pickup shouldn't hum unless the coils are split - which functionally makes it two single coils.

If it's humming now and it didn't hum before - something's changed to bring that about. Could be lot's of different things if that's the case but most likely related to grounding. In fact, the noise getting louder instead of quieter when the poles are touched is an indication of improper/poor grounding.

I'd do a TB search or go to harmony central user reviews and skim the reviews for that bass and see if hum is mentioned in them.

5. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Surprisingly often this can be even a broken guitar cable. Or amp input.

The polepieces are not necessarily grounded. If they were, that would be true, but there is a possibility that only the other row of polepieces are grounded. It wouldn't surprise if he only realized it now since the other row has been quiet, and it is not everyday that one touches the polepieces while the instrument is plugged in.

-Aki.