Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hummm (fix your bass dude)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jimothy, Sep 1, 2002.

1. jimothy

jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    A hum comes out of my amp when not playing (it ain't feedback). It's not the amp. The sound is like the old polarity problems of the old day amps. I have a Epi Jack Casady Bass (hollow body). Never had this problem before with mega other basses I've had in the past.

When I bought the bass, the "junction box" was loose inside, so the local "tech" put foam inside through one of the f-holes to hold it into place (he couldn't find where it hooked up). Could this have caused a sheilding problem?

The volume pot also needs to be replaced, it will not go to "zero". Don't think this could be the problem.? Bad pot cause hum (and no buzz.. har de har har)?

Help!! I love this bass. Blows away anything else I've played, for the price that is.

2. So if you unplug the bass and let the amp run... you get no hum?

if so, open up the cavity of the bass, check that all wires are soldered down. Check the wire going to the bridge is secure.

If possible replace the volume pot. Always good to cancel out one problem. And get that "junction" (whatever that is) seen too. Where there is a will there is a way. I hear this often "he just packed it in" aka "i have more important jobs lying about, and dont have to time "find" this"

:D:D

Merls

3. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    if you touch a metal part of the bass, does it go away?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Is there lighting in the room that uses dimmers and/or transformers?

Computer monitors?

5. Exposed mains wires?? :p

lol

:D:D

Merls

6. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    if you have recently pluggod the amp in a new area try plugging it somewhere else i know this isnt mentioning a bass but it could help

7. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Ever seen a grown man naked? :D