Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hummmmmm......

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nailuj1987, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Lo all,

a hum is produced when i play open notes or when my hands are not in contact with the strings. the hum gets worse when i turn up the treble? I really can't give much more info bout the situation .. i don't noe much bout pickups and all.
    If someone could give me a solution to the prob? I using a ibanez Gsr200. the humm only started recently.

thanks

2. I had the same problem with my Ibanez GSR 100. I decided to upgrade the pick ups to EMG's. I'd recommend doing the same because not only will the hum stop but you'll have a much better sound to your bass. If u get humming from the pick ups it might mean that they've collected a lot of dust or for other reasons. Sorry i can't help much but the only thing I can say is to replace the pick ups because the stock pick ups on the GSR models really suck.

3. Too bad replacing pickups ain't just a simple plug and play... i know nuts bout sticking new pickups my bass. I think i'll just bash it round bit and clean up da dust like u said and maybe... just maybe... it'll stop...

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sounds like a grounding problem to me.
    ether on the bass or amp

Are you using a grounded plug in on the amp?
    Did the grounding wire come lose on the wiring?

5. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    It is a grounding problem. My GSR200 has the exact same phenomenon. I only hear it when the strings aren't vibrating and I have no fingers on the strings.

I only got it about a month ago, and am not very compelled to mess with it. Considering the price of the bass, I'd have to say the pickups it comes with are a dream come true. They don't hum very badly, and they produce and awesome tone with a great growl. I'll probably buy a new bass before I mess with the electronics of this bass.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    My SX P-bass does this. However, I've got black nylon coated strings on that don't conduct electricty... so it hums even when I'm playing and have my hands on the strings.

7. The plug is a two prong plug. I believe it isn't grounded.. How does that cause the hum and what should i do about it?

thanks for the input guys... couldn't do without u all.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, actually, with EMG's, it really is just plug and play. They've got this proprietary Quick-Connect thing with prewired pots and everything. ;)