1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humor in music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by M Ramsey, Feb 21, 2008.

1. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Morning all,

Uncle Toad is the comic of talkbass and I really like that aspect. Now, I play bluegrass and know tons of the the musicians making their living playing it on a full-time basis.

I also realize there are more of us that just dabble in the music on a part-time basis, while holding down regular (or more coventional) jobs.

Here's my question. Across the differing musical genres here, does humor between bandmates/musical friends permeate the time between performances?

Chris Fitzgerald, Damon and others here seem to have this streak in their makeup, and I love to take my part. MollyKay also seems to enjoy it as evidenced by her post to the soundpost thread that Jason Sypher started the other day.

Humor is a major part of the bluegrass scene and I was just wondering folks thoughts about the genres they are involved in, to see if it flows freely there.

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I think it is a huge part of band stand chemistry. If everybody is friendly and jovial the barrier that exists when you are leery of "doing your thing for fear of being vibed" is instantly broken down. I think it is also an important part of group chemistry. I think groups that like each other have an easier time making music. Last tour I did was crazy fun 'cause the guys were fun on and off the bandstand.

In general it is more fun to be around people that don't take themselves too seriously.

One band I play with does silly stuff like the sax player quotes an 80's pop tune in his solo once a night and wants to see if we catch it. Last night was 'Blame It On The Rain".

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Most of the jazzbo fellas I work with around these parts are exceedingly dull and take them selves far to seriously. The Country/Bluegrass/Rock players are far more hilarious.

Not coincidental the later get laid far more than the former.

4. During the intermissions at symphony concerts, the musicians like to gather around and discuss the intricacies of sonata form and Shoenberg's approach to harmony. We don't have time for this "humor" garbage.