Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hump in fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dirk, May 14, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello,
    I just got my double bass today. It is a cheap chinese bass that I bought new from Ebay. As I assumed it would need a little work, I wasn't too disappointed. Of course the bridge needs to be cut to lower the action, and my band director is going to take care of that for me (since he's a bassist and he did it to his bass). The other problem is a hump in the fingerboard. It's not really exactly a hump, per se. Like it's not bowed out or anything. It's like the wood just isn't rounded all the way. This is sort of alarming on a new instrument, but I think I can fix it, or have it fixed. It looks as if it just needs to be sanded down. Should I try it myself, or have it done. I'm having trouble finding a decent luthier around here, one was reccomended to me, but I can't seem to find his phone number in the phone book. If I decided to do it myself, what kind of sand paper should I use, it's an ebony board. Thanks for any help..

Dirk

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Check my Luthiers Directory at www.urbbob.com/luthiers.html - maybe he is there.

Planing a fingerboard properly is better as a spectator sport.

3. Some fingerboards have a beveled shape to accomodate the flapping of the E string. Maybe this is what you're seeing. A luthier would be happy to reshape it to make it more evenly rounded.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Don't Try this at home!!!!!!