hump in fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dirk, May 14, 2002.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just got my double bass today. It is a cheap chinese bass that I bought new from Ebay. As I assumed it would need a little work, I wasn't too disappointed. Of course the bridge needs to be cut to lower the action, and my band director is going to take care of that for me (since he's a bassist and he did it to his bass). The other problem is a hump in the fingerboard. It's not really exactly a hump, per se. Like it's not bowed out or anything. It's like the wood just isn't rounded all the way. This is sort of alarming on a new instrument, but I think I can fix it, or have it fixed. It looks as if it just needs to be sanded down. Should I try it myself, or have it done. I'm having trouble finding a decent luthier around here, one was reccomended to me, but I can't seem to find his phone number in the phone book. If I decided to do it myself, what kind of sand paper should I use, it's an ebony board. Thanks for any help..

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Check my Luthiers Directory at - maybe he is there.

Planing a fingerboard properly is better as a spectator sport.
  3. Some fingerboards have a beveled shape to accomodate the flapping of the E string. Maybe this is what you're seeing. A luthier would be happy to reshape it to make it more evenly rounded.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Don't Try this at home!!!!!!