Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hump where Jazz neck bolts to body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I've read references to this being a common problem. My bass has a slight hump on the highest frets where the neck bolts to the body. I have a small shim in the neck pocket to get the action down where I like it. However, the hump at the body joint requires that I have more relief in the neck than I'd prefer, to avoid buzzing and fretting out notes up high.

Long story short, how can this be fixed, or minimized?

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought more relief = more problems up high.

When i want to get clearer notes up high i take out relief.

3. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    if i understand you correctly, thats what is called a "raised tongue" over here in my country. just not sure if the term applies to every other place. to my recollection what they gotta do is take of the highest few frets and shave it off then refret it.

is the truss rod of your bass in the body or neck?

edit: disregard the last sentence. just realized that your Trod is in the pocket.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    This is also called "ski jump" and it is more common that a lot of folks know. I had a Fender 62RI J neck fixed for this last year and the luthier fixed it by pulling the frets from the lower end of the neck, doing a level, and refin, and then refretting that section. That was followed by a complete fret dress and level. It saved me about $75-100 off the cost of a total fret job with a level and refin for the board. I also know that the guy who did mine is good at that specific procedure. Other luthiers might not want to do anything other than a full refret/board job. I totally understand.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would try just dressing the frets where the hump exists. If it doesn't clear up the prob the frets have to come out anyway to plane the board.

there really isn't much tolerance for fb warping/bending down in the "short rows" considering the very short string around the second octave.

I noticed that you had a shim in the pocket. That shim can contibute to the prob if it's not properly installed. The shim should cover the bottom of the pocket completely. If a shim is installed between the front and rearward neck screws it tends to cause a "ski jump".

Your problem really is a pretty common thing.