1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hunbuckers in series?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    I actually meant to say Humbuckers....but you get the idea. lol

I understand they are wired in parallel, right? Haha just thinking about it and if it would accomplish anything to put in a push/pull switch for them.

Thanks!

2. I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

People do master series/parallel switching on push/pull pots all the time. Whether or not it will sound good will depend on the pickups in question, and your tonal preferences.

3. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    I was curious if it would really do much to the sound. I was just toying with the idea. I have my Jazz with a push/pull and there is a little change in sound when its changed, enough for me to change it for some songs. Higher mids and highs it seems. Was wondering if the same would work with two HBs.

4. Warwick Corvette $$ allows series parallel or single pole. Mostly signal strenght but some definite difference....hard to explain the sound though.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you mean two humbuckers (which are each likely in series) wired in series with each other?

that would be 4 coils all wired in series.

i'd expect a wall of mud from something like that.

(and "hunbuckers" could be a cool marketing idea: "pickups so scary atilla would love them!")

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Humbuckers wired in series will yield a tone that is darker, thicker, higher-gain, more midrange-intensive, and more aggressive than is generally the case with humbuckers wired in parallel.

Is that what you wanted to know? :meh:

MM

7. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Pretty much that is what I wanted to know. I know the affects on Jazz pups because my Old Epi is rewired thus, I was just wondering if there would be the same difference in sound. I like a variety of sound choices.

Haha Hunbuckers. Good joke!