1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hung out with an NFL pro last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Apr 26, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    So I'm in San Jose CA on my monthly business trip. Last night I went out to a local blues club to play at their open blues jam. I've gotten to know some of the guys there since I drop in whenever I'm in town. When I arrived I saw a guitarist that I know, and he motioned me over to sit with him and a couple that were seated with him. He introduced me to the guy, and we were chatting about playing bass. He was saying that he's only been playing for a year and gets nervous when he goes up on stage. He gets called up and does a really great job on about 3 tunes. When he comes back to the table he's a little bummed, saying that he didn't play well, etc. I was telling him that with only one year experience he did wonderfully, he was walking over standard I-IV-V changes and playing some nice grooves.

I get my turn to play, and during my set the guy and his wife leave. At the end of the evening my buddy tells me that the dude I met is a starting defensive lineman for the SF 49'ers. Turns out that I was talking to all-pro Bryant Young, and didn't even know who he was. He was 100% down to earth, not wearing fancy clothes or putting on any kind of celeb attitude. He was a nice, genuine, humble and very engaging guy.

It was a really cool experience because we were relating to each other about bass and music. I'm sure he prefers that, rather than having some rabid football fan fawning all over him.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's pretty cool.

3. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    How dare you post that!!! Why would you post something that would cause me to feel anything different than hatred for the Whiners (aka 49ers).

I will now have to make an exception for Bryant. I will have to root for him doing good - but not the rest of the team.

What a quandry! Please stay away from anymore 9er players as I don't want to have to like them.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nowadays, I'm shocked when I find out that there are still professional athletes that behave like civilized, normal people. That's sad........:bawl:

It's cool to meet famous people that way. I once spent 20 minutes talking to Jimmy Buffet in a private plane airport before someone told me who he was.

5. My dad spent 45 minutes talking to John Paul Jones at a bluegrass festival and didn't know who he was until afterwards. Kinda cool.