Hungarian basses in general ?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by C.Veltman, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Hi Bassfriends !

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on new/older/vintage Hungarian basses.

I am rather familiar with German/Bohemian basses, what they cost and how they sound.
    Only a few high grade Italians.

When visting Germany this fall I visted a lovely bass shop in Hamburg.
    They had many fine basses from ca 4000USD and upwards.
    The bass that imho gave the best value was a new Hungarian with
    a lovely sound and finish, just like older basses with patina.

However, today I visited a local luthier who had this fantastic sounding Hungarian,
    a violinshaped 4/4. Spurce top (medium grane), neck, back and sides of flamed maple.
    No signature either on the sticker and no branding. Possibly around 80 years old.
    Exellent condition.
    One could say it was in the style of fine Italian basses as to it´s construction and sound.
    ......Does it show I´m very interested ?.....

Of course, it´s impossible to judge any instrument without hearing or at least seeing it
    therefor my question regarding Hungarian basses in general.

Kind regards;
    Christian V

2. Hey, CV, that shop in Hamburg wouldn't happen to be Tobias Festl's new World of Basses, would it?
    i hope you behaved yourself in Hamburg and stayed away from the reeperbahn (infamous red-light district)heh-heh. anyway, about hungarian basses. I could write a whole page about, but to sum it up generally,New Hungarian DB's ( post 80's) BAD,
    Old Hungarian DB's (Pre-60's) Good.
    Of course these are stereotypes based on the Mass Produced Hungarian Copies that I have seen from the 80's and later.
    I think the older ones have better wood, and possibly are better constructed.
  3. Hi reedo35,
    yes, thát´s the shop !
    The bassparadice in Hamburg !

Oh, the hotel was just across
    the street....(oh,yes I behaved :))
    I was was there because of a watchshow
    at the Uni-Mensa and had a few hours sparetime.
    These were spent in Tobias Festl´s world of basses.

The "girls" at this shop did look much nicer
    and theire lovely humming did get more of my attention than those other babys ower at the

The bass wich I mentioned in my previous post is
    actually here in Stockholm Sweden.
    It is one of the best sounding basses I have heard
    it also has a very loud voice.
    This "girl" has gotten my attention ;-)

Kind regards,
    Christian V,
    btw, did you "behave" ? ;-))
  4. Tobias has two shops now, one in Reutlingen (South of Stuttgart) and the one in Hamburg. I used to go to the one in Reutlingen all the time, to drool and worship. Tobias did all my repair work when I was in Germany. I Actually played a gig there at his shop! Is that the Bass in the picture, or are you just torturing me?
    And yes, I did behave myself on the reeperbahn,
    despite some rather agressive sales tactics by the occupants. ;)
  5. the bass in the scan is not the real thing...
    Locks like a cheap plywood. The girl next to it is better :)

Yes, I knew about his main store but have not yet visited it. The staff and shop in Hamburg (Germany)
    is recommended for all players visiting the city.

The shopassitent did actually mention such an idea
    of having small concerts at the shop !
    Pitty I missed your gig, would have loved to hear you play !

I have until Friday to decide if to buy the Hungarian
    or not.....will take some pictures if we decide
    to make a couple !

Kind regards,
    Christian V
  6. In deciding whether on not to buy this one specific bass, what do you care about Hungarian basses "in general"? For one thing, there aren't enough Hungarian basses out there for people to be making general statements. My experience with one Hungarian bass was very good. A picture is available through my profile. Its age and nationality were misrepresented to me when I bought it. I didn't care, because I bought it for its sound and quality of workmanship. I was also fully aware of little tricks done inside to make it look older. That stuff goes on all the time.
    Unfortunately, no one is immune to the lure of an "Italian" bass, and they sell for a premium. Conversely, German basses command lower prices just because of nationality. If you can discipline yourself to ignore the non-musical factors, you won't overpay. (At no time did I say this was easy!)
  7. Thanks for your reply ! As always good valuable points.

I used the term "in general" because of my interest
    for other players "attitude" regarding Hungarian basses. Just like the "general" thoughts regarding
    Chinese basses is .......

Anyway, the girl is mine :)
    Could not resist and took here home.
    I got here because of the sound
    as provenance and Italian had nothing to
    do with this girl.

Below is a link to a page with a few scans,
    please excuse the bad quality of the pictures.

Kind regards,
    Christian V
  8. Looks beautiful; congratulations and good luck!

I wonder if you and I have the same disease.
  9. (Homer Simpson voice on)mmmmm...Pre-e-e-etty
    Double Bass...Drool....(Homer voice off)
    Seriously, though nice instrument. man! I hope it sounds as great as it looks.
  10. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Beautiful flame, love the color. If it sounds like it looks you are one lucky guy. Not to be too nosy but how much financial damage did your new girlfriend inflict on you?
  11. Bassfriends,
    thanks for your kind comments !

Btw Ed, that´s German.....a slightly different language. Sorry no Mp3....yet, have
    to practise a lot before any of you pro´s would like to hear me.

Maybe I should have recorded the classical player who tested the bass at the same time.(pro).
    I was lucky to be there just before him, he wanted to buy the bass too !

When viewing foreign sites and shops I do get the impression basses are priced lower here in Sweden.
    Just recently a very fine example of a Paul Claudot violin shaped bass (signed) was sold for 13.000USD.
    The buyer offered me his Pöllman.....(dead boring tone) asking 6500USD.

Anyway, I am very pleased and inspired !

Kind regards,
    Christian V
    How much did I actually pay ? Click this text !
  12. Ed, all you gotta do is move to Sweden, Buddy!
  13. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Okay, nobody follow the link unless you really want to shed a few tears. All we gotta do is move to Sweden, Land of the Midnight Sun and Incredible Deals on Basses.
  14. The savings pays the air fare. Go for it.
  15. PJL

Dec 29, 2000
    I can't beleive that bass only cost $5700 US. I'd sell a kidney for that but apparently I could actually afford it and could keep the kidney...
    Anyway I just read the entire thread and seeing it unfold was rather interesting. If you get tired of the bass let me know, I think I'm in love, PJ