Hunter S Thompson commits suicide

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 20, 2005.

1. :(...

*Picks up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas out of his library*
  2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I just bought that book the other day, havn't even started reading it.
  3. that's crazy.

never exqected that.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hunter S. Thompson's writting was a huge influence on me. While I am shocked, I sort of expected it. He didn't seem like the type of person who would handle aging well.

"I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock and roll for everybody, but it works for me."

So long Gonzo, what a long strange trip it's been.
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Def. my favorite writer of all time. I always thought he was too weird to live and too rare to die :bawl:

Gonzo, but not forgotten.
  6. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yep. I agree though I always thought he would kill himself through a less self-inflicted way. I'm actually more shocked that he made it this long with what he puts his body through.

He will be missed and never forgotten.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Definitely. Sad news. Wasn't he ill for quite a while? I'd heard he had at least one bout with the big C. What a brilliant mind though, and a cultural icon for many of us. RIP. :crying:
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    too bad, I really enjoyed his work!
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Real sad way to go.

Man, I can't even fathom the genius that resided inside that cat... Not even being an avid sports fan, I read countless articles about his blatant gambling "picks", thoughts on sports, tangental ramblings and his books.

I feel like I grew up with his writtings, I'm going to really miss his wit, intelligence and wry way of making sense of a crazy world.

10. I was just beginning to discover his wealth of amazing stories, letters, and novels, too. Goodbye, Raoul Duke/The King of Gonzo/Hunter S. Thompson. :(
  11. The way I see it, Johny Depp is the only living part of him left.

RIP Hunter, Fear and Loathing is one of my favorite reads.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What a genius! Lucy? And the hitchkiker with the Disney T-shirt? And the cops? "Never slow down, SPEED UP, show 'em you're in control"! Jeez, this guy was a mental giant, right up there with any of our modern heros. I hope he found some peace, at the end of his life. RIP Hunter. You're the Man! :)
  13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
  14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
  15. And Josh weren't we *just* discussing HST the other night?

Like Josh, and in large part because of him (and the Depp movie), I was just getting acquainted with the man's writings.

Somehow we need to keep getting reminded to appreciate what we've got while it's still here.
  16. This is getting sent back up. And, maybe we should merge this one with the other two?
  17. Sitting on my bookbag, on my bedroom floor, is an original copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is now certainly getting a re-read before the library gets it back.

18. I dunno. I was reading on another forum and a guy said something among the lines of "The man lived life on his own terms, it's fitting enough he would die by his own terms"

Makes sense to me at least.
  19. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey