Hunting for 2nd bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by needmoney, May 30, 2004.

1. I'm in the process of hunting for my second bass, nothing overly expensive, i currently own a streamer rockbass, and im pretty much over it..

I went looking at sxome guitar shops today and came across an Ibanez SR885 (discontinued).. the dudes were selling it new for about 3/4 its retail price, im thinking bargain? i played it unplugged and it sounded boring as, but i came home and read some reviews and heard good things, i like the vari-mid EQ but im not too sure about the sounds from a basswood body.. Is this just some crappy light wood that sounds really dull or can it actually produce some nice tones???

Any opinions would be a great help..
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well basswood is crazy light and dents very easily, I heard it emphasizes the mids, not sure though. Ibanezes however are notorious for their low output, and I mean really low. I say pass on it, that isn't too big a jump from a rockbass, aim for something a bit nicer. Try one of those mij fenders, Geddy Lee or the Marcus Miller. The Marcus Miller is a great bass for the price. People say that the Geddy Lee is made in Mexico now, not sure if that's 100% true though.
  3. I really can't place the sound of basswood. It's not aggressive, doesn't amplify the highs.... Not the warmest sounding wood, but warmer than maple. So yeah, I guess that leaves kind of a mid-ish high-bass-ish sound. Nothing overly impressive, no glaring faults either. (<--- All my opinion and could be dead wrong :D)
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    needmoney- would you mind if I threw a few questions your way that might help us help you find a bass to meet your needs?

When you say "nothing overly expensive" do you mean something in the $700- $900 price range or are you aiming a little higher or a little lower?

What style of music do you primarily play? This has a big influence on the tonewoods that would fit your sound needs best.

Since you mentioned the SR885, I'm assuming you're looking for a 5-string. Did you feel comfortable playing that one? The thing with Soundgears is that their necks/nuts are narrower than those of most other 5-strings so if felt your fingers a tad cramped then I'd say try something else with a wider string spacing.

Does your 2nd bass have to be brand new, or would you be willing to buy a preowned instrument? Sometimes a higher-end preowned will satisfy you more than a brand new not-so-high end.

In any case, I'd try out as many basses as you can to see what fits you best in terms of playability, comfort, and tone. Make sure the bass you get is one you really want and not one you feel kinda ambivalent about. Believe me, if you feel you've compromised on your purchase, you will be dissatisfied. If I read your experience with the SR885 correctly, I'd skip it. It didn't "speak" to you.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    passive: 2nd hand Fender Roscoe Beck 5
    active: 2nd hand Lakland Skyline 55-02

If you can't afford either, save more money.

Play both with your amp before buying.
  6. Yeah. The Geddy sig bass is probably the best Fender you can buy, for under $1k new.
  7. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i played one of those basses, and it just no go.
  8. Yeah i was pretty much aiming at round 1000 (australian dollars) so thats about 700-800 american i think?? But yeah i like the tone of my rockbass but i want something with more tone shaping capabilities, thats why i checked out the soundgear, but yeah now i know basswood sucks so i'll steer clear.. any other suggestions, not a big fan of fender... (no effence to fender lovers) definitely after a 5'er tho..
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Not all Fender basses are created equal...

Try an RB5, you might just like it.
  10. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    You could get a used Warwick 5-string for that much money. Well at least in the states you could.
  11. Yeah maybe i should just take a trip to the U.S, cos Australia SUCKS for used warwicks, the only ever used warwick i've seen here is a Thumb b.o for almost the same price as a new one, aaarggh!