1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hunting for a 5 String-Slim neck, Humbuckers, Contoured Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I'm looking to get a 5 string bass and looking for as slim a neck as possible, close string spacing would be good.
    Looking for humbuckers, rather than J bass style.
    Something comfortable, with a nice, contoured body.
    I like the active/passive option for tonal variety.
    Want to stay around $500-$600. Used is good.
    I've done some reading here, and found these to start:

1) G&L Tribute L-2500

2) Peavey Millennium 5 AC BXP

3) Ibanez SR505

Any opinions or other options given the features and price-point I'm after?
    Thanks, and sorry if it's a tedious subject.

S.

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    IME, Ibanez seems to have some of the slimmest necks out there so I would definitely check that one out.

I'm not sure about the string spacing on the L-2500- I think it might be wider.
    I'm thinking there's probably a Spector that would also work- their carved bodies are very comfortable.

Good luck!

3. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    USA Millennium......

4. Spector, used warwick, probably a peavey or two out there.

lowsound

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have a nice L2500 for sale which does have narrow-ish spacing, but honestly if you want a super thin neck it's not what you want. It's pretty thick, like a Jazz or Stingray 5 neck. I actually love the neck shape, it's perfect. However I need wider spacing and that's the only reason it's for sale.

6. Madwatch

Madwatch

Oct 26, 2010

+1 I love G & L's and wanted so bad to keep mine but like mmbongo said the neck spacing was a deal breaker for me. I like the full spacing. The neck thickness didnt bother me so much but its not by any means the slimest neck out there but not bad at all. My friend had a Schecter bass ( not sure of the model) it had a nice slim neck and narrow spacing and was in the price range you described.

7. Wow, I started poking around at Spectors and found some used ones for as little as $250!
    I always thought they were more expensive.
    How are the neck shapes, in general?
    The ones I looked at were mostly Legends.

S.

8. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The Legends are Korean, Indonesian or Chinese manufacture depending on how old they are. I am not a fan of the necks at all.

I would suggest either a USA Millenium or an Ibanez SR.

9. Oi, just found the NS models at $3k+.

10. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The G&L Tribute L2500 sounds great and has relatively close string spacing, but the neck is probably too thick for what you are looking for.

You should look for a used Carvin Icon. Check out Craigslist or Guitar Center if you can't fine one here on TB.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ibanez Soundgears. Except for active/passive switching all the soundgears from sr300 up offer the rest that your after imo.

13. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Upon reading the title the first two things I thought were the L-2500 and the SR505. I've got the former and have thought about getting the latter, which has the most comfortable 5-string neck I've tried.

The Trib L-2500 has a thickish neck but a quite narrow one with spacing at the bridge about 16.5 - 17mm. A great bass, as pretty much anyone who's tried one will say.

You also might want to look into the Cort Artisan series - they make the Ibbys and the Artisans are more or less their take on the Soundgear series.

14. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I had a Spector Legend at some point and although the neck was pretty slim, to me it also felt very flimsy. The SR505 is pretty much the best option for the buck. String spacing is 16,5 mm. It's an awesome bass (I still regret selling mine).

I don't know about the G&L since I haven't tried one, but the Cort basses have a slightly thicker neck than Ibbys. The quality is almost on par (they make the Ibbys so they can match them in almost every feature, at a cheaper price). Cort Artisan B is their version of a SR500. Unfortunately Cort doesn't have a very well organized dealer network so it's not as easy to track them down as Ibbys (which can be bought from almost any store). At least not here in EU.

15. Sorry...the G&L and Spector necks are no where near slim...closer to a baseball bat imo....Warwick..evern more...if your talking string spacing thats a different discussion all together .. Id have to agree that your best bet will be the 505...however these are VERY mono-tone to me...almost like the preamp does very little to enhance. Also the spacing was the extreme opposite..very crammed..

I tell ya...one you havnt mentioned that meets a lot of your criteria is a Schecter Elite/Studio... give them a look...good bang for the buck... especially used.

16. Spector Legend 5 Classic.

DO IT NOW!!!

17. superbeast101

superbeast101

Sep 6, 2010
    I have a Warwick $$ Corvette, the neck is pretty thin on that, and has the humbuckers like you're looking for. However Ibanez SR models seem to have some of the thinest necks around, and possibly Cort Artisan or Curbow series too

18. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Problem is, he probably wont find a Corvette $$ in the $5-600 range, The cheapest I've seen for a 4 is around $700 used so I'd guess a 5 would cost more.
    Unless you're talking Rockbass but thats a whole different animal.

19. Warwick. Thin neck? Does not compute.

20. Not trying to pawn my own sale I promise, but I have a SR 505 in the forums up right now that has single space humbucking single coils. I agree with everyone about Ibanez, the SR series are some of the thinnest most playable necks out there if you are looking for a thin neck. That's the reason I got it.