Hunting for my dream Fender Jazz...<m>

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Dec 4, 2000.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Or, "Basses I Have Loved and STUPIDLY Sold."
    Basically I'm on the lookout for the best bass I ever owned, and I think I want to track one down and get it. Thing is, I've only ever seen one like it...
    It was a 70s Fender Jazz, smoke colored (sort of like sunburst but it went from white-ish in the middle to dark gray on the edges.)
    Long story short - rent came due and I sold it. Hey, I was young and evidently VERY stupid.
    I have never seen a bass like this since. Have you?
    I really never figured out the true date, since I bought it used around 1985. It had the fret blocks and pickup cover, so I'm taking a guess that it was a 1970s bass.
    What do you think? Does it exist somewhere?

By the way, nice to be here. I'm new and I'm glad I found this place.

2. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Welcome and howdy, bman!

Unfortunately, I don't have the bass you're looking for, nor can I tell you any more about it; however, if you would like another place to ask about it -- check out the <b><a href="">Fender Discussion Page</a></b>.

If no one here has an answer or a lead, perhaps someone at the FDP could point you in the right direction. There's many collectors there. Expect to become acquainted with E-Bay, if you're not already. :D

I hope you find the bass you're looking for,

3. Also, you might want to get to know Steve Barr, who has owened a lot of basses, and is frequently getting new (used) ones, and selling off his old ones. he's very knoledgable of fender gear. he has the handle "dude" or "thedude" on talkbass, and some times makes a post or two. the other guy to get to know is a guy named Bill Bolton (somthing like that) and he works for fender i beleive, and as far as i've seen, he knows what he's talkign about when it comes to fender history.
  4. Sounds like your jazz was finished in Antiqua which either you love or hate. I happen to like that finish. Go to the Fender Forum. Those guy's will be able to help. Good luck!
  5. Steve Barr is the purveyor of Vintage Bass Trading Co. His email is He can probably help you with this quest.

Bill Bolton is in Australia. The continent notwithstanding, he is a premier authority on Fender basses and the company in general. He holds the distinction of maintaining a list of all of the serial numbers current to Fender basses that are still in existence. It is sort of a passion for him. You can always get either of these two at the FDP site.