1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hunting Hitler..(Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Hopefully this isn't deemed a political thread because Hitler has been dead supposedly for over 70 years.

The show is based on the premise that Hitler escaped the bunker and scarpered to Argentina.

I have watched other numerous shows on him and there is evidence that he didn't escape the bunker...and also that he did. (This series is on History channel).

This show is quite fascinating whether you accept that he did or didn't.

The sheer magnitude of things that the Nazi's were up to (both during the war and after it) is absolutely mindboggling. Especially in Argentina and Spain.

It is quite clear that he could easily have escaped the Berlin bunker, if he desired.

I watched a doc the other night where Germans that survived the bunker swear he didn't.
    But this show was produced by a pro film maker in the early fifties with an agenda and all the witnesses answers seem a bit contrived,scripted and rehearsed. And all of them got off virtually Scot free and went on to live lives to a ripe old age , some even in the States.

Findings in Spain and Argentina on the History channel series surprised me no end.
    I thought a few Nazi's fled there, lived in hiding for as long as they could and that was the end of it.

Well... not by a long shot. There was way more going on than that.

Definitely an interesting show, regardless of what you believe happened to Hitler.

Farseer likes this.
  2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've been watching every episode, it's riveting!

ZenG likes this.
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    So have I, and you're right it is riveting.

TD

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'll have to get my wife onto this series: we're both 'german', but she has a real interest in the german nazi history. thanks for the post and the info! :thumbsup:

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

As an out of left field recommendation for a view, I watched James May ( of Top Gear fame ) last night on Amazone Prime in a series called James May's Car's of the People. It is a fascinating show but of particular interest was the VW Beetle and the role ( of which I was very unaware ) it played in the Nazi war machine plans. For history buffs and ones interested in war history this was like finding a diamond in the rough. I didn't expect it and it was very interesting.

Immigrant likes this.
  6. Thanks for the heads up! It sounds like a great show.

I'll eagerly watch if I find all episodes online. I can't start partway through anything.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Had his whole army marching on crack and it seems he was an aficionado of it too.

8. Kind of makes me wonder if this guy ever watched the show or is just spouting off in classical "internet reviewer" style.

Critics are a dime a dozen.

So far in all the episodes I've watched there has been a ton of intriguing information provided that probably most people didn't know about.

Many of the released FBI,CIA and Paraguay government documents are intriguing.

Bormann was supposed to have died in Berlin. On other shows they claim his body was found
    just down the road from the Bunker.

Yet the FBI and CIA docs show that they believe he is in Argentina using the name Keller after the war. He adopts a daughter, still living, who when shown a picture of Bormann says " Yes. That was my dad".

Many of the locals they interview on this show seem to have pretty good historical knowledge of which Germans were around in their area and don't seem to mind sharing information for the most part.

On other docs I've watched, the Russians enter the Berlin Bunker and discover a shell crater where Hitler and Eva Braun's dead bodies are supposed to have been burned in gasoline or diesel.

Right beside them in "official" pictures taken at the time is a " Hitler " look alike body.

(a) What the heck is a dead Hitler "look alike" doing there? And where did they or the Germans get him from on such short notice?
    (b) Why do you need the look alike if you have two bodies in the shell crater already?

The Russians supposedly whisked the actual remains off to Moscow, where they were kept under lock and key "top secret" for decades, claiming they identified Hitler through dental records.

Until just recently where it is said that they released Hitlers skull for DNA tests.
    There is a bullet hole in the skull. Unfortunately the skull is female.
    Eva Braun, according to reports, did not shoot herself. She took poison. So no bullet hole.

Hitler is said to have shot himself by sticking a gun in his mouth and firing upward.
    But the bullet hole in the Russian's skull contradicts this idea forensically because it looks like a "point of entry" wound...not "exit". So the firing angle is wrong.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I watched a couple of episodes. I found them very interesting. Prior to watching, I was only vaguely aware that Germany had some ties to Spain and Argentina. The show gave a lot of details about the ties. Although there is no direct evidence that Hitler escaped Germany, it's obvious that some other Nazi's did. It's plausible that if Hitler had wanted to escape to Argentina, he likely could have done it and and lived in seclusion at least for a while.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've been tempted to watch it. I see it when I go to the History channel on my Roku to watch Vikings.
    Hitler is tied into another series I am watching now, The Man in the High Castle.
    Hitler is also part of the next Transformers movie.
    I wonder why the sudden interest in Hitler so much.

-Mike

11. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, VW history is pretty interesting. Even the name Volkswagen or "people's car" is tied to Hitler's vision for the German people.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  12. Funky Ghost

It originally wasn't called The Peoples Car. Interesting bit, that. The show explains it all and more.

For those interested --> link <-- click it!

13. For me it's "The official textbook version of any historical event is one thing. What actually happened is another thing entirely."

Most of the historical factual accounts of anything as taught in school books are 75% b*llsh*t.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  14. Actually it was methamphetamine, invented by axis ally Japan. But even more crazy is the German war medicine D9, which contained methamphetamine, oxycodone, and cocaine, all in one. The documentary I saw said it was specifically used with mini-submersible teams (2 men) and that none of themy were documented as having returned. I'm guessing it'd be tough to train like that.

For what it's worth I thought the Hunting Hitler thing was gonna be a lame History Channel Bigfoot alien UFO crap fest, but heard Tim Kennedy talk about it on a podcast. I had no idea he was involved and what he has to say is something I wouldn't just discount. Dude is a hell of a fighter and active special forces and not a publicity whore in it for cash, so I at least went in with an open mind.

15. SPOILER- He died in his bunker, period, end of discussion.

Much like those paranormal and ghost-hunting shows, it is all 100% made up and faked just to attract contravetsey and viewers.

If you like it, great, because to the end of the day it is just entertainment.

MJ5150 likes this.
  16. Funky Ghost

History is written by the victors as the saying goes.

MJ5150 likes this.
  17. And of course you can prove this 100%...

There were a number of Germans who "made it" out of the Bunker right at the end of April/1945. Germans who were supposed to be dead but later proven to be alive.

So getting out of the Bunker at that time was not only doable......they in fact did it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  18. My biggest takeaway so far has nothing to do with Hitler being alive or dead, because nothing happened. We won. Europe got rebuilt. No 4th Reich etc. But the show details just how massive the infrastructure in South America was and that sliver of history I didn't fully know. They are still shining light on interesting stuff even if Hitler blew his brains out in a bunker. There were still plenty of atrocious and powerful folks who made it out. Some got caught and killed. Looks like some didnt. I still find it interesting.

19. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Some of this depends on who's book or doc's you're reading or watching to believe. I enjoyed history in high school and I can eat it up all day and night no problem.

Funky Ghost and MJ5150 like this.