Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hurrican Relief in Bokeelia (story)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by josh_m, Aug 29, 2004.

1. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Just thought I would share this with anyone who was interested. Be warned, I'm a horrible writer.

Yesterday 11 people from my church drove across the state to a small island called Pine Island. We went to the local methodist church to check in, get supplies, and find out where we were going. We were sent to a local trailer park called Pink Citrus to meet up with FEMA and the Red Cross to find out who still needed help, the first place they sent us was to this old man and his wife (who is unfortunatly wheelchair bound.) The florida room he had built on to the side of his trailer had fallen as did all of the trees surrounding his house. We helped him remove debris, removed the walls from the room, and took the metal ceiling off of it's attachment to the house. With that done, we cut up and rerooted two of his trees and we were on our way. The next house had already been helped, there was just a few heavy things that the guy couldn't get himself so we took them out of the way for him. Back to the church for a quick lunch and then out again.

This time the Red Cross told us FEMA just went down the next block to register some houses as totalled and we should check there, we got there and found a man who had given up on his property, with 4 fallen trees and styrofoam and fiberglass all over the ground he was just going to sell the property, we made quick work of the clean up.

The next house we went to was the worst, the high spirits of the people who lived there made it seem a lot better than what it was but the shock came in shortly after. We show up and they ask us to help them bring some furniture down to the road, not a problem. We get back up and realize that the house no longer has any walls. They are all laying on the ground with most of the roof nowhere to be found. We picked up the walls and moved them to the side of the road with the rest of the debris, and helped them move the rest of the heavy furniture out of the way, it was then my job (being the lightest person in our group) to go onto the structure and try to find anything that could be saved. I left with a small handful of items and when I handed them to the owner he started crying. We gave them the number to the church and told them that they were there if they needed anything.

Before yesterday I had never helped anyone so much in my life, the disaster looks so much better on TV than it does in person, especially when you meet the people who were hit first hand.

Does anyone else have any experiences like this they want to share?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, what a story. thanks for sharing it. :)

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Yeah, it was a real eye opening experience... something to tell the grandkids about for sure.