Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hurricane Related cure for GAS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman314, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    So yeah.. I was about to pull the trigger on a Loooper 3 with Blend control.. Was going to do it on lunch.. have everything ready to go...

When I got a memo from the CEO of my company. A few years ago, he lost everything in one of SFO's earthquakes. He's decided to start a campaign to the American Red Cross... Whatever the employees donate, he'll match 10 times that.

He had an interesting point. Earlier this year, the US poured out BILLIONS in aid to Asia for Tsunami relief. Now it's time to show that same compassion to others in our own country, especially since the region hardest hit is also one of the poorest.

So I got to thinking.. I can live without my Loooper a while longer... There's people right now who can barely live, period. Ya know.. it feels good.

I encourage all of you to help out. Give what you can. People in the world Blast the US for what appears to be our lack of solidarity and parity in the treatment of our own citizens. Let's prove them wrong and help out where we can...

Heckl... I bet even The Qintar is out delivering water right now :D

2. I have a better idea, are there any GC's in NO? Lets get a TB'r with firearms, scuba gear (good bass gear doesn't float after all) and a boat, go get your looper, you pay the money for it to the disaster relief fund.

Win-Win!

Randy

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm a currently unemployed college student, so i was only able to donate a small amount.

i hope that lots of other college students chipped in their drop in the bucket (or 'buck oh-five,' as it were), so that combined, our drops make a sizable bucket-full of money. (NOT water: new orleans has too much of that as is now! :mad: )

man, this whole situation sucks. and it isn't even the end of hurricane season yet. :(

4. Actually my bet is that is the most critical need right now. There's plenty of water, but its contaminated. No clean drinking water is available in many places. Lots of people will either get sick from dehydration or drinking bad water VERY soon. Many will likely die from that. Way before hunger gets them.

Randy

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I have a question about that water contamination and "drinking".

Would standing in the water be a safe way to absorb water because you can absorb it through the skin?

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Your body does not absorb water for hydration through the skin. It can absorb some of the contaminates, especially solvents and certain chemicals

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Very nice my man! I will be donating the money from my next gig to the Red Cross. Just think if everyband that has a gig this weekend or next did the same thing. Obviously most of us dont make alot off of gigs, but if every band donated their entire pay from their gigs this weekend, that would be a huge some of money.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

very true.

i just didn't want to send mixed messages with the metaphor.

9. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    yeah.. just in the bay area.. if every group gave $100, that would be something on the order of $100,000.. or more...

If every band nationwide did it? damn... makes the million the owner of the Texans dropped on it look kinda small!

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Really? I was always informed that you pee more in the pool because you absorb water.

11. Nope, I think it's the cold water causing that reaction.

And... hate to be the one to tell you, but.... you're NOT supposed to pee in the pool.

Randy