Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hurricane season

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    didn't we already have this crap last year?

:mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/hurricanes_and_tropical_storms

i'm getting sick of this. my parents' house back at port st. lucie needed a new roof and new paint in the interior. and we also just got new carpet.

well, at least gard and brendan wised up and got the heck out of florida...

three more years, and i'm out of here, too. :hyper:

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    We're getting the remnants of the TS that hit SE Louisiana the other day today. Nothing compared to what I experienced down there with you Brad.

Someone asked me the other day "Do you miss Florida at all?"

...anyone need me to answer that question???

;)

Good luck down there Brad, and I've still got family in the area (grandmother is in Orlando), so I'm wishin' 'em away from all of ya.

3. Packing as I type (EVERY storm is tracked up the mouth of the river by the local stations...I never know what to beleive).

Mike

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Wimp.

;)

My old man and my little sister will ride it out, you're headin' for the hills???

...sheesh...

:D

(Dude, I'm with you, bail, you're what...3 feet above mean sea level? Dad & sis are NUTS.)

5. Oh, we'll be riding it out...my wife has to work at the hospital in emergency-type situations. I'm packing because if it's a Cat 5, we can all perish in the same building.... :)

Mike

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Ah....Memorial or Northshore?

7. Lakeview

Mike

8. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Last summer was the pits: was managing a large home in Tampa for developmentally adults (13 of them....) and all my staff called in, 'cept for the two that were stuck there. Of course, i managed to make it in my little firebird, so....i spent weeks there, without power, trying to keep my gang occupied and amused, and it was not fun. Still, better than evacuating: our designated evacuation site was the USF Sun Dome, and i just can't comprehend trying to keep everyone okay in a huge room with thousands of other developmentally disabled, mentally ill, and medically fragile people.

Now, though, i'm director for a provider w/ 6 such houses, and am just dreading the first hurricane to hit here. not gonna be pretty. I've got a huge passenger van ready to go: everybody IS coming to work, if i have to make the rounds and bring them in myself.

And i just moved to an island in tampa bay. The basses and i are running for cover.

9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

if thinking that's funny is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

fortunately, tampa made out pretty well last year--my family used my brother's apartment at temple terrace (by tampa) as our designated evacuation site, and it wasn't bad there at all.

hopefully nature will be as kind this season (especially since it's my brother's last hurricane season in that apartment! :D )

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    next up, emily. :mad:

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Florida is for suckers.

13. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I was living in Temple Terrace, and lost the roof off my back porch, had a tree limb go through the bedroom window, and had half the shingles blown off the roof. Coulda been worse, though.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    So that's why all those hurricanes hit last year...

15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ouch. that was about as bad as the damage to lots of places in port st. lucie. :meh:

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup, right when I move down again, the **** hits the fan. I think everyone in FL can blame the hurricanes on me - they follow me around! Bastard hurricanes...

-Ray

17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

ever see the kids in the hall skit where it's raining... and the boss of a company wants to fire the person who is responsible for it?

yeah, you're totally fired.

18. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    :crying: not again...

-Ray