Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hurricanes are fun

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by UnsungZeros, Aug 13, 2004.

1. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Indeed they are. I'm just now feeling an outer edge of Hurricane Charley. Fortunately, I live on the east coast of Florida so I don't have to deal with the full force of the storm. Anybody on the west coast of the state want to report on it?

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Reporting in from Tampabay. I'm in a non-evac zone, so we aren't goin anywhere and hopefully it won't knock the power out. It's extremely calm right now, but the hurricane will most likely start around 2 pm tomorrow and hit around 8 pm.

My guitarist / singer lived in a evac zone, so he's spending the night. He brought his guitar too. :D

3. It's been quite some time since we had a real hurricane in Louisiana. A weak hurricane sure isn't much to celebrate.

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm in Atlanta and I'm even feeling the effects of it. It rained like crazy earlier and they say it will continue through the week. :eyebrow:

5. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I needed a day extension to finish getting the images into my thesis, when all of a sudden (to me) theres this hurricane that is hitting Central Florida. Great, now I cant drive and I have another day or two to put in these images.

Funny, I learn this by some news person saying "Unless youve been under a rock, you know theres a hurricane about to hit Florida."

Apparently I live under a rock now. Lets hope the power doesnt go out.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm in Orlando, we got a few bands of showers from Bonnie yesterday (that's what you're feeling up in Atlanta, fatbassjazzer). We are expecting to get the remnants of Charlie tonight sometime, if the storm stays on the projected path.

My girlfriend lives in Sarasota, just got off the phone with her, so far no effects from the storm, it's overcast and calm. They are expecting to get the edge of the storm about noon, and the real heavy stuff about 5 pm tonight. I'm a bit worried about her, if it hits straight on to Sarasota, she's in for a very rough night. :meh: :(

The good thing is that it's expected to start moving fairly quickly once it gets onshore, so hopefully it'll be nothing more than a big nasty thunderstorm in Georgia (where they need the rain apparantly) by Saturday night.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yo Black Beans, you found a rock in Florida big enough to crawl under????

;)

...you should be ok up in Gainesville man, by the time the effects of Charlie get up your way, it will be a tropical storm or depression most likely.

8. We've had mad rain and thunderstorms up here in Québec since Tuesday night. Could it be related?

Hope everything's fine for your woman, Gard.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

my parents are going to ft-lauderdale on tuesday, they will be safe from the hurricane right?

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Tampa Bay area here. Im in an evac area. (mobile home) so Im staying up the road wiht my brother and his wives house riding this thing out.

Its approximatly 1:44 pm & theres now a slight breeze in the area and overcast skies. No rain just yet. I heard reports on the radio that its started raining a bit in St Pete.
    So far Ive heard two courses on this thing. One is that its gonna rip through the Tampa area, the other that it shifted N.E. a bit and is gonna land some where around FT Myers. The 2nd is better news for Tampa and its surrounding areas, because we wont get the storm surge & 120 mph winds. We will still get heavy rain and severe winds though about 75 mph.

I'll keep chiming in when I can until/if power goes out here.

BTW Gard, if this thing did change its course, then it looks like he might head your way.

Later edit: 1:49, it just now started raining out. :D

And Im supposed to go to work tonight. :rollno:

11. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Dude, I'm in orlando right now - about 10 minutes from your store. I just boarded up the windows.
    A tornado just hit downtown. Im shutting off the computer.

12. UnsungZeros

It's up to catagory 4 status. Hide.

13. I was going to tell the Tampa Bay guys to come up here (Orlando area) and we would find room. Now it looks like it is coming right through here. I have most of the loose stuff out of the yard and put away, but my neighborhood has two or three construction sites nearby, so there will plenty to fly around and break windows. We have a safe room in the house, family is all here, and stuff can be replaced ( insurance company would put a smile on Beaver and Gard's face). Just in case we lose our connection, all of you stay safe, you don't own anything you can't live without.

Best of Luck, John

14. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    North pinellas county is looking mighty good right now. Looks like Charley is going to follow a NE line from St Pete to East Tampa. Good luck to everyone else.

3:43 PM in north Clearwater area and no rain yet.

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm in the DC-Metro area, and we've been getting some pretty major storms for the last few days. Ombudsman, I'd say your storms and mine are definitely tied in to Bonnie and her bigger, badder brother Charley. They're calling for flooding in my area and we're four states north of the evac zones, much less either hurricane's present location.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Looks like the Tampa area is outta the woods on this one. It dodged a major bullet. (my boss is gonna kill me for callin outta work now)

It looks like this big bastard made landfall at Captiva Island and just might make its way thru Punta Gorda and Sarasota. If ya'll didnt know this, TB's Dr. Mike Mulcahy lives in Punta Gorda, so lets all keep him in our prayers.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hurricanes are only fun when viewed from television. Good Luck to you in its path. Hope you're all O.K.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When I lived in Boca Raton, (sorry, I know that's Gold Coast on the east), hurricanes were just an excuse to whip out the blenders and make margaritas..............forget trying to go up I-95 as it was jam packed.

19. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    after making it through the F5 tornado that came Moore Oklahoma in 1999 and the F3 last year, I don't play with Mother Nature. I hope everyone is safe.

David T
    Save the family first, then the basses and amps

20. UnsungZeros

They'll be fine if they're heading to Ft. Lauderdale. It's out of the path. They may however have problems getting to Ft. Lauderdale. Expect possible airport closures or airline cancelations. Roads may be impassable. I don't know how you're folks plan on getting here, but they should be prepared for delays. Then again by Tuesday Hurricane Charley will be on its way out.