Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hutnick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aren, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Aren

Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Im sorry if this post is on here twice, but I thought I posted this once before but cant seem to find it anywhere?????

I have what appears to be a custom bass, probably about 15-20 years old. It looks like it came stocked with a BADDASS II bridge. The body is of a very dark culy figured wood--??mahogany??maybe. The pickup configuration is that of a
    J-bass. Someone slapped the hell out this thing, it has deep gouge/wear spots where someone was a little overzealous with their pop technique on the treble side, and also deep wear spots from what looks like a heavy thumb on the bass side.
    The neck has small, circular, brass fret markers arayed in diamond patterns. The headstock is labled "Hutnick".

This bass sounds and plays great. I would just like to find out a little bit about who made it and where it is from etc....

I would greatly appreciate any info that anyone has on these fine instruments.

Thanks in advance:bassist:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I found another guy on the web with a Hutnick, Brian Boshart of Out of the Blue.

There are no contact links on the webpage,
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/darren.chapman/band.html, and his Hutnick was stolen!:eek: Maybe he can tell you about it, if it's not his(if you can track him down).

3. Aren

Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that you have one also. Is that it in your avatar pic? Let me know if you dig anything else up.

4. Aren

Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I viewed that same website "out of the blue" a couple of months ago when I was doing a search on Hutnick.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope, I don't have one. That is a Zon in my avatar.

6. justjohnnyme

justjohnnyme

Apr 30, 2010
    if you don't know by now, the only Hutnik i can think of is Bill Hutnik and yeah he made the BEST GUiTARS...... he ran out of a small guitar shop called Guitar Works in Windsor, On. Canada back in the early 80s. I was a kid then and made payments to him for years for my Hutniks. Very expensive. over a thousand back then for the the cheepest lol. anyway. thaz it. so if the Hutnik on your head stock is in a gold or silver stencil in a kinda writting style and i think there is like a swirl in the capital H that goes through the lower case utnik, then yup you got the real deal and it's PRiCELE$$ guy..

7. WestEdgeGuitars

WestEdgeGuitars

May 31, 2010
    Hey I have the answer for anyone interested in Hutnik instruments. Bill Hutnik is still in action, after getting out of the business for years he moved to Huntsville Ontario where a new guitar shop was opened. This is the home of West Edge Guitars. I am his son Brett Hutnik and now that our prototyping is done for the new models we will be taking orders for this years production schedule. Anyone who has anything positive to say please feel free to call the real Bill Hutnik at 1 705 636 3343. A catalogue and website are in the works www.westedgeguitars.com. More information will be coming soon.

Rock on,
    West Edge Guitars

8. Were you guys from the windsor area? I knew a Bill Hutnik that sold industrial supplies about 15 years ago, I had heard that he also made great instruments but that was after I knew him( that Iknew he made instruments).

I have played with serveral of his students but haven't had a chance to play any of his guitars or basses, I see one every now and again in the local shops.

if so small world...

thanks
    jim

9. GT_Ottawa

GT_Ottawa

Oct 6, 2010
    I have an early 80s Hutnick 2 Octave Fretless bass. It is a fantastic instrument. I acquired it in the early 90s in Windsor, Ontario

10. danox574

danox574

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi all -- I was actually searching for some information on Bill and came across this thread. I used to teach piano at a music store in the Metro Detroit area (just over the border from Bill's shop) and I purchased his bass used. It was later damaged and I brought it right back to Bill in Windsor to have the instrument fixed. Originally, it was black with a red and white record logo on it, but due to a backstage accident it needed work and I asked Bill to repaint it. He did make fantastic instruments, and I'm curious if anyone has gotten in touch with him at the new place and commissioned or seen any of his work in person yet.

This is the bass he built that I came to own. Unfortunately, during the repaint, I lost his logo on the headstock, but if I head out this way I'd like him to verify it and put his name back on it. I'm sure he'd recognize it, it was a pretty unique build. So, if anyone goes out to the shop to visit, please let me know if he is back building again!

Thanks,

-Dan

[​IMG]

11. ChrisBandicoot

ChrisBandicoot

Feb 16, 2009
    Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: West Edge Guitars
    Hey everybody.

I just returned from Bill's new shop in Kearney Ontario. I picked up a bass from him this weekend and it is hands down the most beautiful thing I have ever played. Solid neck-thru design with 30 year old Alembic active electronics. It's called the Mondo BNT. There are a few people that have his newer stuff already, although I am the only one that will have this exact design due to the fact that you can't get these electronics anymore. I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

12. Scott white

Scott white

Apr 3, 2013
    I can answer the magic question regarding Hutnick basses. Bill Hutnick and I started a boutique guitar making shop in Windsor Ontario around 1979. I made guitars for Alex lifeson, Bob Seger, The Romantics when I worked at Pyramid guitars in Detroit. We were the first to make neck through body guitars well before B C rich. I now make custom guitars, stomp boxes and amplifiers in San Diego. Anything else?