1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hwy 1 and Badass bridge...?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jan 6, 2012.

1. I just got a Highway One Jazz bass today. I'm putting flats on it because that's what I use on all of my basses. The Badass II had grooves cut for the strings. Can anyone tell me the best way to tell if the string is sitting in the right groove on the bridge...alignment, etc? I have a Geddy which has a Badass but the bridge has just one groove per string...no brainer there. Thanks for any help.

2. It's mostly a personal preference and I suggest fiddling around to see which works best for you, on my highway one I find the 3rd slots on the E and A saddles and the 2nd slots on the D and G saddles give me the most even spacing.
    But as I said earlier it is 100% a matter of personal preference.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    There are two different things to check for: first, do the strings pass directly in between the pickup magnets. Second, are the outside strings the same distance from the edges of the fingerboard. Usually if you get the first thing right, the second will automatically be right. However, there are rare occasions where things just won't line up perfectly and you have to find the best compromise between the two.

4. I have the bass laying on the counter and I'm looking down on it. I'm standing to the "top" of the bass or E string side and looking down. Looking at it the strings are E A D G...E being the closest to me. Did that make sense???
    I guess what I'm getting at is what are you considering the 2nd and 3rd slot. Going from the inside of the bridge or from the outside of it?

5. I'll check it out now. Thanks.

6. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Having had several Highway Ones with Warmoth necks...it's going to vary. Part of this may have to do with the cut of the nut, and/or part has to do with how the route for the pups were cut. It's not a perfect world - but I love 'em, and adapt accordingly ;)

7. Looks like the E string is a little off as for as running through the magnets. The string is covering maybe a 1/4 of the "inside" magnet...It's between the mags but it's over maybe 1/4 of the mag. It looks like the measurement from the string to the edge of the neck are about the same. I'm talking about the "E" and "G".

8. I usually look and make sure the string spacing is even and that the G string is not to close or far away from the neck.

9. I'll probably end up getting the bass set up. It's not bad now though. I may want to try to get the action a little lower.

10. You might try to adjust the truss rod just a little bit as well as the saddle heights. But of course taking it to a technician is always the best bet. If you have time watch what he/she is doing so you learn how to do it yourself next time.

11. The guy that sets up my basses usually does it for free...I may buy strings from him.
    I've set up a couple of my basses. I kinda know what I'm doing. I just eyeball the neck for relief though and then adjust the saddles if needed to get the action a little lower. I haven't messed with intonation though. I try to get the bass in tune on each string with an open string and then on the 12th fret. I'm not sure if that's exactly how to do it but I guess I get it pretty close.
    For the height or action, once I make any adjustments I fret every fret on the neck to check for any "buzz".

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    this.

get the strings between each magnet pair; if that ends up leaving the strings not lined up with the edges of the neck, loosen the neck screws a little, pull the neck over until they do line up, then re-tighten.

those grooves are a little coarse for my taste, so the spacing won't be perfect, but "in the ballpark" is fine for most folks.

13. Outside to inside

14. Okay...thanks. Right now mine are all sitting in the 3rd one.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    ^this^

Quick, simple, and done.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    How is a truss rod adjustment going to help with lining up the strings properly?

To the OP: if you are trying to get your string alignment tightened up, remember that the neck can shift in the pocket as well.

17. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ^^^^
    What Walter said.

(This will work for those who do not have OCD, or those who can hear the difference when they flip their speaker cables end-for-end)