Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hwy 1 Jazz w/badass on eBay - should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I am really gassing for this. It's a Fender Highway 1 Jazz with a Leo Quann Badass bridge, and it's been professionally modified for series/parallel pickup operation, and the guy says it's all properly set up, intonated and ready to go. He will also include the original bridge. I like the looks of it, and I don't have a Jazz bass in my small collection.

The "Buy it now" price is $620.00 - includes a HC case. I checked, and this bass, stock is $699.00 at the online stores and I don't think you get a case.

Thoughts?

Skel

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

A BA, or a BA2?

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thats not much of a depreciation for a used bass, I'd either bid if his start price is lower, or sit it out for a while and wait till a better deal pops up.

4. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Watch MF for a "blem"(ish) item. I just got my Highway Jazz for $569 including shipping brand new. That was a 100 buck less than what it normally listed. Saw a Geddy bass the day after I got mine, same thing...100 less than normal. I can't find a ding or scratch on mine, plays perfectly. No hard case, but it did come with a gig bag. That's good enough for the time being, I may upgrade later.

I guess having the BA bridge would be nice, but suppose the person that put it on didn't know what they were doing?

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
  6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "Thats not much of a depreciation for a used bass, I'd either bid if his start price is lower, or sit it out for a while and wait till a better deal pops up."

+1

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sorry - it's a II. I honestly don't know how much of a difference this makes - but I'm sure it can't be a bad thing, and they cost about $80.00 bucks.

The reason I think it was put on correctly is because the guy has had it into a luthier to do the "S1" wiring, and adjusted the neck, intonation, etc. He's including the original bridge and says the holes line up, so no new holes had to be drilled, apparently.

I can certainly bid on it - currently it's at $335.00 with reserve not met. Usually people are doing the "buy it now" at about $50.00 more than their reserve.

Skel

8. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Yeah, certainly wouldn't hurt to bid, but I wouldn't jump on the buy it now. I think if you go much over 550 with shipping you've gone too far.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - Thanks a lot for the input guys. Much appreciated. It's nice to get a free reality check.

Skel

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I pulled the trigger on the most beautiful white jazz bass with active pickups. I assume it's MIM, and it must not come with a case, but it was $549.00 + 13.00 shipping. I've never owned an active bass, so can you make it sound passive if you want to?

Thanks for the link.

Skel