1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hwy1 neck twisted....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jan 7, 2012.

1. I got a new Fender Highway One Jazz bass a couple days ago...a real nice looking bass. I put some new strings on it(flats)tuned it up and have been playing it the last 2 days.
    Today I took it by a shop to get it set up and the guy said the neck has a slight twist in it and to keep an eye on it. It may stay the same or could worsen. I'm wondering if any of my other basses may have a "twist". I would have never known the Hwy One's has a little twist. The thing plays good and feels right.
    I wonder how many basses are sold that have a similar problem and goes without notice?
    I posted this in "set up" too. I wasn't for sure where to post it. Thanks.

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If it's new, contact Fender and have the neck repaired or replaced, under warranty.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree. This happened to my 2003 Am. Series Jazz, and Fender replaced the neck with minimal hassle. I got really lucky -- the new neck is more resonant, and I noticed the improved tone immediately. It was like getting a free upgrade. After eight years and lots of GAS, it's still my #1 bass.

Contact your dealer first, and if it isn't an authorized Fender repair shop (many aren't), they'll send you to the nearest one. If you didn't buy from an authorized dealer, you probably won't be covered but you could try.

5. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Yeah, I went through 3 Dirnt P necks before I got one that would hold a setup - but the one I ended up with is perfect. That was 5 years ago FWIW...

6. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Lol! I got scolded when I was reporting twisted necks and maxed out truss rods on fender. Now I see a whole bunch of people having these issues in the last couple of days.

The good thing is, fender has a lifetime warranty on there necks.

7. Seems kind of odd they would get a twist with the graphite reinforcement...then again, I don't really know.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    in my experience, a twisted neck really never gets better or 'heals' itself, and most of the time continues to get worse over time. when it was made, the machine that cut the neck (as well as multiple other necks) and then radiused it did so to making it perfectly straight. some pieces of wood later move a little and can twist and later slightly move due to the grain orientation, density or moisture content to where it 'wants' to go.

i'd highly recommend sending your neck back for a replacement. it should be covered under warranty and fender is very good about covering those kind of problems these days.