1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HX Stomp vs Preamp Pedal - Dilemma

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by samcrabtree01, Sep 30, 2020.

1. So I'm kind of in a dilemma with my live sound...

We're running IEM now and I'm strongly considering ditching head & cab.

Ive been looking to add a nice preamp pedal to my chain and run direct to FOH... Mesa Subway di, Trickfish Minnow, Nordstrand Starlifter etc.

Ive recently also stumbled across the HX Stomp which looks like it could solve all of my problems in one simple solution. My only reservation is that I'll be disappointed with the effects and amp sims for bass.

I don't use tons effects - Octave, Chrorus, Envelope and some compression. Definitely no fuzz or overdrive.

Does anyone else go direct to FOH? If so, do you prefer one of the above options?

Thanks

2. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I do exactly this and have tried various setups. The HX Stomp is my favorite by far. It sounds fantastic for bass. Very easy user interface and lots of options if you want / need but simple / quick enough to dial in if you want to keep it simple.
    You definitely need to tweak the stock presets / build from scratch for best results and 3rd party Impulse Responses are an improvement over the stock cabs but not that they’re bad just the 3rd party are better and can be had for for just a few $. Highly recommend the HX stomp for bass never been happier with my live / IEM tone.

It’s also easy to incorporate with a stage amp on the occasions you’d like to.

Bassed in NZ and samcrabtree01 like this.
  3. Thanks for the reply. Are the 3rd party purchased from their page?

hbabels likes this.
  4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am using IEM with one of my bands.

I am using a pedalboard with 5+ pedals.

In the future, I might jump on the X Stomp wagon.

The reasons I haven't so far are the following:
    • I want to keep my signal chain analog
    • I don't want to deal with digital menus-I want to be able to make adjustments on the fly
    • I have several pedals which I like and don't want to get rid of them
    • I enjoy buying new pedals-I feel like having one pedal to do it all (i.e. HX Stomp) would not be that much fun

samcrabtree01 likes this.
  5. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    No look at Lancaster Audio , or 3 Sigma or ML Sound Lab or Redwirez for some great Impulse Response options.

samcrabtree01 likes this.
  6. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    You can try Helix Native -- the DAW plugin with the exact same amps and effects -- on your computer for free for 15 days, and see if you like the sound. You'll also get to know the limitations of Helix, e.g., how many effects you can stack until you run out of DSP cycles, the interface you'll be dealing with, tweakability, etc..

There's also a bug that impacts a reasonably large population where using the plugin just crashes your DAW so folks can't use it at all. That's due to poor DRM implementation on Line 6's part, and they haven't been able to address it in 2 years. Worth finding out how your computer will do in case you want to go all Helix.

Between the software & support frustrations and sounds I've heard out of HX there was enough I didn't like (even though I have no problems with digital processing, I still use and love Guitar Rig 2!), so I went all analog.

The moral of the story: It's worth giving Helix Native a go before you commit.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    This is going to be my next rig:

45C4F598-9534-4758-A7A3-01F0862686F0.jpeg

1F169BC8-F649-40FB-B02E-52ED192E9F31.png

nuage420b and ruju like this.
  8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Or it might be this. Either way, the Simplifier Bass Station is going to be the core of my tone. The only question is whether I stick with Boss for my effects, or go back to tc electronic and add some One Control spice to the mix.

02F83A49-1F17-45F0-B249-14CB8617D92A.png

9. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
  10. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    Unless you're going to fully utilize all the loops and connections it offers, or you must absolutely have one box and nothing else, The Simplifier isn't all that great as a pre-amp or cabsim on its own, imho. I'd rather take the Omnicabsim and a separate pre-amp of choice with a voice that'll serve my needs.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021