1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hxc/metal/emo on a pbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hxcpunkbass, Apr 29, 2006.

1. hxcpunkbass

hxcpunkbass

Apr 29, 2006
    i just got a standard p-bass for my 18th bday
    question is now, can i still use the thing for hxc and emo?
    also, which gauge strings can i use for drop d and drop c?

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    If it's a Fender P-bass then of course you can! That's all they EVER use!

Yes I'm being slightly sour, but hardcore and emo music annoys me. Don't take it personally. Anyway, you should be able to get to drop D with the normal E-string. I'm not sure about drop C though.

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Emos use nothing but, man. You'll be fine.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Don't let your scene tell you what instrument to play. You could take a Daisy Rock bass and make it work if you wanted to.

5. +1

Use whatever bass you want. Typically, you see a lot of Precision and Jazz basses in those circles.

6. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    If you're going to go to drop C, I've heard you can use the B from a five-string set and tune it up to a C instead of tuning an E down that far. I haven't tried it though, I refuse to tune down that far. It's hard enough to get clarity in drop D!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It seems the P bass is the preferred bass in these rock genres , I am sure it will work just fine.

8. hxcpunkbass

hxcpunkbass

Apr 29, 2006
    alright!
    thanks guys...
    now i just need 2 get my strings sorted out. these standard strings are too floppy for me

9. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    For C tuning you can use lighter gauage 5 string sets (something like .125 on the B) and the string tension should be better, however you will have to set the bass up properly for this....

As far as what basses are best for HC, I agree with the others, never let the scene determine what you play. Hell, I play in a HC band and use my Spector Euro 5 and Roscoe SKB3006 (cautiously I might add :ninja: )

Shawn

10. I play in a hardcore punk band,as well as a NOFX cover band,
    And in both I use my Jazz and my P. But I use those basses because I like the feel,like the tone,and my hero (Matt Freeman) uses that style of stuff,but that was not actually thought of at the time of purchase...

11. I use a P-bass for my metalcore band and it works pretty well.

As for strings, your best bet for drop C, in my opinion, is to buy a set of 45-100 or 105 strings, and then a separate 115 for the C. That gives you enough tension that you actually have some tone, but it still does have that growly de-tuned feel.

12. hxcpunkbass

hxcpunkbass

Apr 29, 2006
    the biggest problem i have is the fact that i live in south africa and there isnt really any big instrument shops anywhere. thats a big problem because i cant find someone who knows anything about bass and i sure as hell cant find a bloody tech. so if theres any options that just involves simple things like raising the bridge or changing strings... shot