1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hybrid Bass using a guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neonrust, Aug 30, 2008.

1. neonrust

neonrust

Jul 25, 2008
    Bare with me please......:D

I want to work on a hybrid project guitar. Any help, suggestions or laughter is welcome. "Is it possible" is my biggest question.

Using a guitar body and neck, I would like to build a hybrid 4 string g-bass(guitar with 4 thicka$$ strings). I would probably be using string gauges along the lines of---.085(A string), .065(D string), .045(G), .030?(B). The tuning would be like a bass, but minus the low E and adding the high B. It will also have a custom pickguard with a single bass pickup(haven't decided on the model).

Now.....I am thinking that this may be a warmoth type project, but I may use a RI 72' Tele deluxe. I think 25.5 will be the scale length?:meh:

String spacing may also be an issue, but a custom nut and separate single bridges or a bridge with adjustable spacing(see pics) might(?) fix that.
    warmoth_hipshot_ssb_top. warmoth_hipshot_ssb_side. [​IMG]

...........any thoughts are appreciated.:help:

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Basses usually increase in 4ths from low to high so you might want to tune A, D, G, C.

The 25.5 inch scale may be a bit short for the those string guages at "standard" pitches so you might want to go with thicker-a$$ strings so they aren't floppy.

The remaining scale length at the 5th fret (A,D,G,C notes) on a 34 inch scale bass is approximately 25.5 inches so if you use standard EADG string guages for the ADGC pitched strings it should be fine as far as string tension goes. Finding them that short could be in issue.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    it sounds similar to a baritone, but minus a couple of strings. Maybe that would be a good place to start?

4. stevetat

stevetat

Nov 11, 2005
    New England
    Tele-Star made a couple of 24" scale basses back in the 70's.

Here's one of mine (shown with my 64 P for reference). I've never re-strung them so I can't offer any help there.

Kind of a novelty, but they do work.

[​IMG]

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If the bridge is a toploader, he could add an extra tailpiece a few inches back at the edge of the body, and use regular strings.

Would look whacky though!

6. Jazzint

Jazzint

Jan 20, 2007
    Spain
    I say go for it. And keep us posted on the results, sound, etc.

The only problem I can imagine is maybe floppiness, but hey, if that happens, tune it higher and go piccolo. :smug:

7. Why dont you use some baritone guitar parts , that way you could get a 30 inch scale !?

8. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    i reckon itll work just fine

i have an ESP Viper set up as a baritone (and its only 24.75")

bridge-1.

its got .65, .50, .40, and .30 flatwound guitar strings from the bottom of a 7 string jazz set, tuned A-E-A-D-x-x and string tension is just nice

cheers
    froovs

9. ive thought about this before, good luck!

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It'd be about 5-8 inches of excess string depending on if they were short or long scale...However, my NS EUB can use standard upright strings since they wrap around the back of the body and anchor there.

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Wrapping around the body will work well too.

And 5 inches should be fine, it'd look like an archtop!:D