1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hybrid Bass with alternate string tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kie, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Kie

Kie

Jul 2, 2012
    Oregon
    I typically play 6-string and 4-string bass alternatively depending on the style and sound of the music I am playing, and I have been interested in the Ibanez SR2010ASC bass, a 6-string hybrid bass guitar which has the first four strings across a fretted fret board tuned to EADG, and two strings tuned to DG, same octave as the last two strings of the fretted portion, but the strings are across a fretless portion of the neck; making the entire bass tuned to EADGDG; ideal for fretless soloing over casual fretted basslines, or several possibilities.

However, I prefer the tuning of BEADGC, or at least have the low B available since I play a lot in tunings lower than drop-D, and since I am not at all experienced in bass hardware, I am asking if there would be any problems such as tension, problems in intonation, damage to the instrument, or negative things in general if I used the standard 6-string strings on it (B on E, E on A, D on G, etc.)

And just to clarify, I don't mean tuning the original strings down to the pitch, but taking 6-string bass strings out of the package, and putting them on the bass.

Go for it, or Bad idea? Thanks.

2. I'd say go for it. You may have to adjust the gauges of strings you're using, but the bass won't know the difference.