1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hybrid cabs - any good? traynor ybx-1510

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    i'm currently in the market for seperate 210 and 115 cabs. i came across a traynor hybrid cab online that has 2 10's and a 15 in one cab. the price is pretty attractive, 4 ohms, only 82 lbs, 400 watts.
    anyone ever played one of these or can comment on them (good or bad)?

check it out here http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=40&id=264

2. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I have one to go with the matching YBA200 and I love it. It is nice to get the best of many worlds... the punchiness of 10's, and the warmth and depth of the 15, and the highs of the tweeter. That way you can go hi-fi, old school thump, or mid heavy rock very easily. I like the versatility (though I go for the dirty rock tone). It would be nice to have them seperate though for transport. I added casters and it has made life much easier.

HUGE low end, punchy mids, shimmering highs (though I tent to turn off the tweeter at show volumes or keep it low for home use). My only caution is that it sounds good at house volumes... but it really shines live when you make the speakers work (but I think that is the same for any medium to large cabinet).

Another consideration is that the cab is supposedly matched for the YBA200... I am not sure it would sound as good with another amp. Or maybe that is just a marketing scheme to get people to buy both.

I would buy both the cab and head again without blinking.

3. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Cool man. I wonder if it really is a scheme, pairing it up with the matching head - every picture that I've ever seen of the cab had the head with it. I'm sure it'll be fine with a different head, orselse you wouldn't have the option of buying them seperate.
    On a side note - I really like the white trim around the mesh. It kinda looks like an SVT..

4. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    my view is that the cab goes from 40hz to 15,000hz (+/- 3db)... so as long as your amp can push that than you are taking advantage of the cab's abilities. Also, an amp the runs optimally at 4ohm would also pair best with it. Last but not least, the cab does not have speakon jacks so running more than 200-300W into the cab may not be ideal with it's jack connectors (though I know less about that subject... maybe someone could step in...).

5. It's not that big a deal. Speakon's aren't THAT much better anyway. All the guys who get so upset over connector current ratings (which ANY decent 1/4" isn't far behind in anyway) would keel over dead if they saw size of the voice coil wire in the speaker.

6. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    is it really as light as it says online, like 82 pounds? that's light! my combo is like 86.

7. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    yeah... I have never put it on a scale... but I think it is accurate. It still feals REALLY solid though. Weight is saved compared to seperate 2x10's 1x15's because less wood is needed. It is a very space efficient cab.

8. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    I heard that, then my ampeg 210 and 115, get ampeg.

9. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    i'm considering it. the svt cabs, 210's and a 115. i'd consider the b series cabs - but they're bigger (although not by too much). the svt's are priced nicely. no harm in saving some coin on b series cabs though. i can't help but be really intrigued by this 1510 by traynor.

10. Phone up Long and McQuade and see if they have one in the store. Just don't go down there on the weekend, it's an animal show, as you may well know. ;) Hard to try anything out in that scenario. The Yorkie won't be a Berg 322, but it might sound pretty good.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    eww not long and mcquade!:p I went there and they completely ignored me, I asked a question and he seemed really bothered, answered it and then proceded to chat with the other three guys standing there.

12. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    ha. i fully understand, those guys can't be bothered most of the time. don't even get me started on guys at guitarworks (not location specific either which is the sad part)..

i think i might still try to find a 1510 cab in the city and play it, just so i know what i might be missing ;)

13. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Ampeg makes great stuff I must say. But with the traynor I got the same thing for 1/2 the price... and I LOVE the sound. But you can never go far wrong with Ampeg.

Try both out if you can... side by side is even better. And then decide.

The YBA200 sounds great with the YBX1510... but you need to try both setups with your amp.

14. This traynor cab is said to lack cut and mids or something? I guess it's like one big mid-scoop cab? A lot of people have said to go for the yorkville 8x8 that is made to match their SS head instead. The head and cabs still match, and are the same size. I say try both of those if you can and pick the favourite. I myself have played the matching pair and thought it was nice! Good luck.

15. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I find at low volumes paired with the YBA200 (bedroom levels, with the original tubes) it did sound a little scooped with a flat EQ (but that is what EQ if for if you don't like it). However, at reasonable volumes the mids fill out perfectly for a rock situation... keep pushing it and it's mids roar like an angry SVT. Don't buy a 400W cab for use at home I say... unless you have very tolerant neighbours.

Well it doesn't cut like 4x10's, but it cuts more than a 2x15. You get a mix of what 10's and 15's do best I guess. The tweeter gives you lost of high end sizzle if you want it. I consiter it to be give you a more modernized vintage tone... or a modern tone with more low end thump. I guess I like the cab with the matching head because you can go scooped hi-fi, old school thump, or mid heavy rock. Very well rounded.

However, if you wanted the best thump... get a 2x15. If you want the best hi-fi... get SWR or Eden. If you want optimum punchy rock tone get an 8x8 or 8x10. This cab does each very well, but prob not the best at any one. I like it for the flexability.

16. Sounds like a great description. Good post.

17. Yeah, it can be tough to get service there some times. Most times, I'll just walk in and start hooking up the gear I want to check out. As long as I don't start wanking at high volume, it's cool. Somebody there will usually come by at that point.
    L&M owns Yorkville, or vice versa, so it's likely the best bet to check out one of those cabs

18. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Looking at the schematic for the YBX1510, it appears that the two 10"s and 15" are all wired together full-range. Only the tweeter uses a crossover. Wasn't what I was expecting! It makes me wonder if the 15" and 10" drivers all share the cabinet without any partitions.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Whay would there be any reason to have a crossover between the fifteen and tens? No true subwoofer there as a reason, and it would just throw away SPL. Both sections are tuned/ported to the drivers, read the blurb here:

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=40&id=264

20. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I have a Peavey 1516, which is a similar cabinet, except it uses a 15" and 2 x 8"s, and the Peavey has a crossover at 600 Hz. I thought the Yorkville would be similar.